what kind of giraffe nose catfish do you think this is?

aharley8930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2012
clarksville,tn
this guy came from the volta river in africa. ive had him since september of last year. he was about 4-5 inches when i got him and is now close to 9 inches. i think i have it narrowed down to two species but not really sure. i would like your guys input on things. what kind do you think he is? any help is appreciated. thanks

2013-04-23 16.16.38.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Agreed

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi, they used to be all called occidentalis but the genus has been revised recently and a lot of info, including ID traits and right photos, is still being actively gathered. Planet Catfish (PCF) has just separated the photos of the genus, more or less, into the right species http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=70.

Unless you read and understood the revision, or rather in addition to, I'd suggest to post an ID question on PCF and experts like Birger will help you greatly... in addition to what our colleagues are saying above, of course.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I tend to agree as I cannot find a reference to Volta in any Auchenoglanis species habitat information on PCF and on FishBase.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No. If you follow through with what I proposed and post your questions on PCF, you will learn lots about your cat, I believe. I am not an expert on this genus. There at least several on PCF who are active reguarly.

Occidentalis inhabit most of west Africa. I just don't know if Volta's included. But again, I am learning with you as we go. There are people a thousand miles ahead of us...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store