The right kind of acrylic

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Anybody know the right kind of acrylic to build a terrarium canopy lid out of? I'm talking with custom acrylic cutters now and one told me he only cuts in "standard acrylic" which would absorb water from the tank's humidity and would bow.

He mentioned tinted polycarbonate, but I couldn't tell if he was saying that's what I should use or avoid based on his grammar.

Any thoughts? It doesn't need to hold weight or water (aside from humidity and the occasional spritz from a spray bottle) or extreme temperatures, but I don't mind using "aquarium" acrylic for this, even if it's more expensive. Just don't wanna mess it up.

Thanks!

Oh and btw, I'm removing a wooden canopy top so that the first pic here looks more like the second.

IMG_20130424_084327.jpgIMG_20130424_084546.jpg

BTW can a mod remove the attached thumbnail? It's the wrong pic that I uploaded, but I thought I deleted it.

IMG_20130126_105727.jpg

IMG_20130424_084546.jpg

IMG_20130424_084327.jpg

lambogriffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
new england, USA
I had multiple panels of glass cut for my aquarium top... I've used acrylic for the top of my sump and a small 5.5 gallon tank and you can effectively mitigate the bowing by adding bracing.. With very limited tools I made 1"strips and glued them to the top(perpendicular to the cover sheet) and the bowing is barely visible. Bracing was tapered at the ends and looks fine. Glass was easier and better looking and better performing IMO tho.. I just had it cut at Lowes. I made panels to allow for easier maintenance and for breaks for my over flow and return which you won't have to worry about. Just my thoughts :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1366829672452.jpg

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Glass won't work as it has to be a fairly complicated L shape with hinges drilled into it, and it must fit snugly on the rest of the canopy. Thanks though.

I should also note that I'm a perfectionist about this. I could not do any kind of solution that has visible tape or anything like that.

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
You do want to use polycarbonate, that is what we sell people for aquariums lids at the plastic shop I work at.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
You do want to use polycarbonate, that is what we sell people for aquariums lids at the plastic shop I work at.
Thank you!! Now I'm armed with more information in my search. Exactly what I was looking for. Seriously, thanks.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Home depot sells big sheets of polycarbonate at a decent price and from what I hear it's not that hard to cut like acrylic is. Maybe a diy and save some money.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Home depot sells big sheets of polycarbonate at a decent price and from what I hear it's not that hard to cut like acrylic is. Maybe a diy and save some money.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Ya but I know my abilities and I'm too much of a perfectionist. Maybe the question I should be asking is, do those random shops in chinatown cut polycarbonate at all or just glass?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Polycarbonate is pretty good but lexan is by far my favorite type of acrylic for aquarium tops/lids as it is the most rigid. Lexan will tolerate the heat from a light and or water and stays sturdy without any additional bracing even over large open spans. It can easily be cut with a skillsaw or table saw just like wood. Funny someone told u acrylic wasent "water proof". Regular cast acrylic is what tanks are made out of. 1/4" lexan will work for just about any lid you need. Be careful when drilling, use masking tape and a piece of plywood underneath to prevent cracking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
+1 on lexan. i find it is easiest to work with because of how clean the "snap" is when cutting due to it being a harder more brittle type. it will definately become bendable with heat how much required idk i used a torch, but if u were running hot lighting id think about how to prevent too much heat/light from direct contact. also anyone who told you acrylic isnt waterproof?!?! might wanna stay away from that place lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store