Am I at the peak of my cycle? or did I mess up lol

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Ok, I'm new to the hobby here so I'm gonna start from the beginning. I inherited a 50 gallon tank and wanted to start keeping peacock bass. Stupid me just ordered two and then I found this website... Yeah. I panicked & ran to petsmart :( the day before they came and added the correct amount of API Quick Start. No problems did 30% WC twice a week. Been using Jungle Ammonia strips. Then I ordered 2 more bass... Been doing the same ever sense. Its been about 4 weeks at this point. I got sick of running the gravel vac so I changed to half bare bottom and have changed out decor a couple times still no problems. Ordered 3 geos as dithers. Been still running ok ammonia according to the test strip got a little yellow (which was labeld as safe) every 3 days like normal and kept on with my water changes. its now about 6 weeks in. I Have only been using a topfin 60 ( I KNOW ) as filtration, and the other day after a water change I decided to remove only one of the filter cartrages and add sponges for BB because I want something to seed my new FX5 next month. So one side cartrage and one side loaded with scrubber. Changed decor again like a fool cause I thought it was the rock that was making my water cloudy. Heres where I think I messed up. I added half a dose of the quickstart again thinking it would help with the loss of the rock & filter pad. Water was still cloudy and ammonia is rising according to the test strip a bit quicker. Last night I did a 50% change and the water was crystal clear again. This morning back to kinda cloudy. Its not milky looking Its just not like it used to be. Fish eat like normal but they dont play anymore they kinda just hang. Going to do another 30-40% change tonight again and I have a real test kit arriving friday to give me a better idea of nitrites and nitrates. Am I having a mini cycle, Am I going through a bloom cause of the Quickstart I just added or is my main cycle about ending? Sorry for the novel I just wanted to include as much info as possible. Any thing you guys need to know please ask I just wanna make sure Im doing things alright.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Once your ammonia goes away the cloudyness will go away...maybe adding fish to a newly cycled tank did it I dont know...add more bacteria and maybe something better than quickstart...the more water changes you do the longer its going to take to cycle...maybe try 10 to 15% a day if that...good luck but im guessing itll take a couple weeks at least to get back to normal

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
You already know you did it wrong:)

Only way now is to do small water changes daily and keep measuring that ammonia.

What is your ph?

On another note, you should not have one p bass in that tank, much less four of them with dithers....

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
You already know you did it wrong:)

Only way now is to do small water changes daily and keep measuring that ammonia.

What is your ph?

On another note, you should not have one p bass in that tank, much less four of them with dithers....
Ph is 8.4 but steady sense day one. I should have done more research I know lol y fish are 3" max so I thought it would be ok. API test kit comes Friday so ill know more than ill just stick with the 30% WC Daily in the 50gallon I really didn't think it was over crowded :(

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
it sounds like a mini-cycle. the bacteria are present on the surfaces of what you took out, so when you pulled the deco and gravel, you reduced your filter.
you can add something along the lines of seachem safe or prime, or ammo-lock to convert the ammonia to a non-toxic form while the bacteria catch up. if you're going to remove the rest of the gravel I'd do it 25% at a time. I'd also be doing daily water changes.
geos like a smooth sand substrate, and once you get practiced, sand is easier to vacuum than gravel.

I just wanna make sure Im doing things alright.
that being said, take a look at these pics.
peacock bass need a MUCH larger tank than that 50G, and even the geo's will get too big for your tank. I get the attraction, but you aren't equipped for the fish you bought. if you keep them well they will easily outgrow your setup in a year. that's fine if you can trade them back to the fish store or know someone with a monster tank, otherwise you will have some hard decisions to make.
in a 12" wide tank 6" fish are best.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I asked about ph because the higher it is the more toxic ammonia is.
You have to do those daily 20 % water changes, not more than that.

And peabass are lower ph fish, as geos. In the region of 6.5. /7.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
I just want to say good luck and hope you get all of this solved...also welcome to the forum...this place will really help out alot believe me

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
With a pH of 8.4 any ammonia is likely to become lethal quickly.

a) stop feeding the fish. Food = protein, protein = ammonia
b) keep water changes low...15-20%
c) get test kits and test the water
d) stop messing with decor, substrate, filters, etc until the toxin levels are known, cleared and stable
e) once you have tested it and found low toxin levels, feed small amounts and re-test and see if your readings are around zero after 3-4 hours. If no, feed less, if yes, increase food levels gradually. Rinse and repeat step e) until feeding levels are 'normal.'

Get things stable and then look at what needs to be done for more filtration, a bigger tank or reducing the pet load. Try no more additions to the tank and no more drastic changes. Small moves are best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store