Using fish room humidity to heat tanks - Heat Recovery

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Interesting idea. So basically he is using the heat generated from dehumidifying the air to heat the water, and if the water is warm enough it heats the air. Seems easy enough, the question is can someone here modify a home dehumidifier to do the same?! Any refrigeration technicians present???

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Interesting idea. So basically he is using the heat generated from dehumidifying the air to heat the water, and if the water is warm enough it heats the air. Seems easy enough, the question is can someone here modify a home dehumidifier to do the same?! Any refrigeration technicians present???
Exactly. He also managed to harvest excess moisture from the air from evaporation and putting it back into the tanks.

Would love to hear from refrigeration experts to better understand how something like this would work exactly.

Talk about an increase in efficiency across the board. Humidity, heating, tank top off. Very neat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
The problem is unless you know how to do the work your self having some one come out to hook it up will cost a lot of money.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Wish I could see the video. Reminds me of the idea of a solid state heat pump from what I gather from the posts. You apply a current through a certian material (I dont even remember what right now) and one side heats up and the other cools off. Could, in theory at least, be used to add some heating to a tank while cooling a room.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
It would take years to recoup the initial cost of setting up the system. It would be cheaper to just heat the room the fish are in.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Yeah sounds like a project just to do it

Sent from over there

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
It would take years to recoup the initial cost of setting up the system. It would be cheaper to just heat the room the fish are in.
I'd like to see some sort of number/calculations to back that statement up. Obviously it's not going to be worth while for a little old 180g, but if you've got a big indoor pond (especially open topped as in the video) or massive tank heating and dehumidifying costs can be massive.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I'd like to see some sort of number/calculations to back that statement up. Obviously it's not going to be worth while for a little old 180g, but if you've got a big indoor pond (especially open topped as in the video) or massive tank heating and dehumidifying costs can be massive.
You also have to have your indoor pond in a well insulated building in order for this system to work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store