Prevention of Siphoning during Power Outtage for Wet Dry Filter

fwiffo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
USA
hey- i am setting up a wet dry filter for my aquarium. sometimes we get brownouts around my area at the worst times, like when i am at work. so, if i setup a wet dry system and a brownout occurs, is there a way to prevent water from siphoning into the wet dry filter from the fish tank? its a diy overflow setup using .5" pvc pipe with a queit one 2200 return pump. aquarium is a 75 gallon, diy stand and stuff. thanks.

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
Make a suction break just below or at desired water level on your return pipe. I either drill a hole or cut slits in my return to do this.

fwiffo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
USA
all right. so i cut a few holes on the inlet pipe. that could work i think. thanks.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
You could also install a check valve in your return line, but since its a hard plumbed line, drilling a hole in your return line would probably be easiest

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Im assuming you have over flows? Or is the tank drilled on the back top?

As stated drill holes in the top returns and that'll do the trick. I have them in mine and it works just fine

fwiffo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
USA
yes the overflows are pvc pipe i copied from the internet. the tips on drilling holes are very very good ideas!

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
You will always get some siphon from the returns and/or overflow, the key is to size your sump correctly so it will comfortably hold all the water that will siphon back from the tank, and to minimise the amount by making sure returns and overflows are drilled just below the surface. I would never rely on something like a non-return valve for this, because if it fails you're going to get a flood, and possibly a burnt out pump if you're not around when it turns back on and there isn't enough water left in the system to keep it operating normally.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Good point. I have a check valve on my return line but my sump can handle the water from my drain if my pump fails. Check valves aren't as fail safe as drilling for sure. Just make sure those drilled holes stay clean

Sent from over there

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
Good point. I have a check valve on my return line but my sump can handle the water from my drain if my pump fails. Check valves aren't as fail safe as drilling for sure. Just make sure those drilled holes stay clean

Sent from over there
Yea that's why I just take a saw blade and make a couple of cuts below the water level

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store