Am I Overstocked?

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
tank is 6'x2'x2'(180 gallons). i have an achara catfish, florida gar, clown knife, ornate bichir and jack dempsey. besides the achara and clown possibly outgrowing the tank after a few years, so is this a humanely workable stock? or do i need to get rid of some?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Add Gar to the relocating list ;)
What is your filtration like? As of now on the stock, You are not overstocked. But will have to be religious on your water change.

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
Add Gar to the relocating list ;)
What is your filtration like? As of now on the stock, You are not overstocked. But will have to be religious on your water change.
2 eheim 2217(one is broken atm) and fluval G6. I've been doing 30% every weekend. Ill up the percentage when they get larger but right now its:
gar: 15"
achara: 9"
clown knife: 7"
ornate: 9"
jack dempsey: 5"

but the gar will be the last thing i'd get rid of cuz the he's the oldest and one of my favs :)

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
You got some time on the gar and clown knife. Catfish will prob be the first to outgrow the tank but I wouldn't be surprised if the others could stay in there for another year or so. The issue with the gar is that they're so clumsy when turning and they often slam their nose against the glass

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
You got some time on the gar and clown knife. Catfish will prob be the first to outgrow the tank but I wouldn't be surprised if the others could stay in there for another year or so. The issue with the gar is that they're so clumsy when turning and they often slam their nose against the glass

yeah it takes the cat around 2 years to hit 20" from what i've read but drastically slows after that. I am aware that some of these fish can outgrow my tank but I was meaning to ask if they would all get along ok.

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
Well the jack Dempsey is the odd man out and could be eaten by at least 2 of your other fish, but not for a long time. I have kept a similarly odd mix in the past. My stock was 1 JD, 1 ck, 1 RTC, and 1 flg. It worked out really well. RTC obviously got rehomed, but as far as temperament, they all got along. Never did get that gar or ck off live food tho so that's something to watch out for.

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
Well the jack Dempsey is the odd man out and could be eaten by at least 2 of your other fish, but not for a long time. I have kept a similarly odd mix in the past. My stock was 1 JD, 1 ck, 1 RTC, and 1 flg. It worked out really well. RTC obviously got rehomed, but as far as temperament, they all got along. Never did get that gar or ck off live food tho so that's something to watch out for.

everything is on pellets(NLS). but gets a very varied diet. right now the JD is in a 75 grow out until it gets at least 6-7 inches.

abesabraham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2013
MY
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store