Powerhead bubbler!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use the venturi feature all the time, although beside the built in venturis on powerheads , I use separate venturi tubes on almost all pump returns. I don't use air pumps at all.
The bubbles themselves however, do not aerate, it is the agitation created by water movement and bubbles exploding at the air/water interface that allows oxygen exchange

below is a venturi valve that I use on pump returns

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
i used to hace this on my small tank but i just didnt like the look of it with the bubbles and what not, so i got an air pump, looks nice and easy to hide!

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
The way im looking at it specifically is if the tank is big and you have the powerhead under 2" or more water it may not be enough agitation even with the vent on.

With the appropriate size air pump you could airate the tank at a faster rate, the picture i took is in a 75gal 4feet wide. The bubbles reach about 2 feet out in front of the powerhead.

So about 3" wide and 2 feet long agitation on the surface vs maybe 4"x4" from a breeder sponge or air stone.

Going on the assumption that you already have an air pump and a powerhead. Wouldnt this allow you to further airate your tank with the same equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store