Used 120G. What's with this bracing?

Cry Havoc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Utah
Just bought my first big tank. Between my excitement and checking the glass and silicon I didn't even notice the bracing seems weird until I brought it home. There is cross bracing on the bottom of the tank, but not the top. At the same time, the top looks like it used to have bracing that was cut off. The tank is pretty old, and it looks like it has been resealed at some point. I haven't been able to reach the sellers to ask about it, but when I bought it they said they had been running it recently. To me it looks like they must have put a top trim and bracing on the bottom of the tank instead of the top for some reason when resealing.

1. So what's going on here? Are the tops and bottoms switched, or are there two tops here with bracing cut off the wrong one? Thoughts?
2. Does the bracing at the bottom even do anything? Do I need to add my own bracing at the top? If so, how would you suggest I do this?

First photo shows the bracing on the bottom. Second and third show shots of the top where it looks like there used to be bracing.

SAM_1782.JPG
SAM_1783.JPG
SAM_1784.JPG

SAM_1782.JPG

SAM_1783.JPG

SAM_1784.JPG

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
I have seen bottom trim like this. The builder used the same trim for both top and bottom. The cutting of the top center brace can be a concern if the glass is not thick enough. No center brace less of an issue because of a 4ft tank though IMO. Fill it and see what the glass looks like. Measure to see if it bows a lot. You can always cut the trim and put new on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cry Havoc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Utah
Sorry, guess I should clarify. Tank is 72Lx18Wx23H. It has 2 braces across the span. I guess that means I should be concerned and find a way to brace it at the top?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Yes....either put new trim on it or use clamps where the bracing was

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
i would highly recomend figuring out how to re brace the top. filling it and measuring wont do anything as glass isnt likely to bow and if it ever bowed enough to measure id run away fast. replacing trim is difficult but can be done for the cleanest look, id just contact any tank manufacturer as its standard dimensions. if you want to go diy theres lots of options.

Cry Havoc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Utah
Thanks for the responses. One last question though. I was thinking I could just switch the trims. That way the bottom still has the trim and the top has its bracing. I've never removed a trim before. Does taking the trims off destroy them, or is this a possible way to fix the problem?

lambogriffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
new england, USA
Someone can confirm this but I'm pretty sure you need bracing top and bottom so switching is not a good idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the responses. One last question though. I was thinking I could just switch the trims. That way the bottom still has the trim and the top has its bracing. I've never removed a trim before. Does taking the trims off destroy them, or is this a possible way to fix the problem?
It depends on how old/brittle the trim is but it should come off by using a knife or metal putty knife to cut off the old silicon and gently working it off.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
I'd just buy a piece of glass and silicone it where the old brace used to be. 3/8" thick by whatever the width is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store