Could I keep a Gar?

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
Thinking Florida Gar since I believe they stay smaller and more docile..

Tank is a 400g Bow Front

7' (Length) x 2' min - 3' max (Width) x 3' (Height)

Tank mates would be:
Large Silver Aro
Clown knife
Peacock bass
Endlicheri Bichir
Venezuela Pike
Plecos

Could any species of Gar live in my tank for the majority of its life?
Any worries of aggression towards other fish?

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Short answer: Yes.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer? if you have time

I've read Gars see silver fish as food. My aro is 18"+ and fat. The gar would be in the 12-15" range

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
FLG should be fine there in terms of size, but I could see it beefing with the aro. You *might* be able to fit another type of gar of one of the smaller species in there, but FLA would be happy for sure.

I'm not an expert but I think gars tend to get freaked out by and/or attack silver/shiny fish, and both the aro and gar would be at the top.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
FLG should be fine there in terms of size, but I could see it beefing with the aro. You *might* be able to fit another type of gar of one of the smaller species in there, but FLA would be happy for sure.

I'm not an expert but I think gars tend to get freaked out by and/or attack silver/shiny fish, and both the aro and gar would be at the top.
My Aro tends to be very docile, ignores other fish that try to bother him. But who knows with a gar.. I'm more concerened with the well-being of my Aro

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Depends on individual fish IMO.

Some people have horror stories, but many people on here keep gars with Silver Aros.

Just have a back-up plan if it doesnt pan out.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Short answer - NO

long answer- gar do not always get alone with silvery fish... and add cichlids.. aggressive species likes pikes to that... in an established tank... not only do I think it won't work.. I've tried it, and I'de bet against it working every time.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
Short answer - NO

long answer- gar do not always get alone with silvery fish... and add cichlids.. aggressive species likes pikes to that... in an established tank... not only do I think it won't work.. I've tried it, and I'de bet against it working every time.
Hmm some conflicting opinions here.. i understand gars seeing silver fish as food, but my aro will be bigger than anything the gar could eat, although he could mistakenly do serious damage.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
the problem I had is they kept posturing at eachother..and neither one knew the other one was posturing... they didn't understand eachother.. imo this is why sometimes it works and sometimes not.

and while FLG have teeth, they are used mainly in grasping prey.. my gar posture and occasionally will nip eachother but it is nowhere near as "active" as what cichlids and other truely aggressive/territorial fish do... Gar have a heirarchy that is establish with other gar... imo gar mistake arrows for other gar.. and this leads to confusion and aggression between two fish that don't undertand eachother sometimes. When attacked actively FLG will flee... which will lead to either being killed by an overly aggressive tank-mate( the gar can't get away and gets cornered and hammered on) or it will eventually hit the wall or top so hard it breaks it's back, or jumps out.

IDK how many or what species these other people keep.. But I atm own 2 FLG, 3LNG, and 1 CBG... The oldest is now 3yrs and I've had him the whole time.

Short term.. if your fish where juvies it might work.. but your talking some bruisers both size and aggression wise, and gar simply are not that aggressive until you start talking alligators, trops, and cubans ( which you wouldn't get from me since my cuban has only shown his dominance to my other gar but hasn't touched the rays or large spiney eel with him).

There is always a "chance" such combos will work.. but like I said.. I'de bet against this combo every time. It's not just one fish.. but as a group.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store