Want a Frontosa but don't have the space or patience?

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Please note that the following was a mistake. (Happy I made it nonetheless) I'm simply writing this as if it was intentional.

Frontosas are almost always very skittish fish, and almost always need a very large aquarium. Through some mistakes however, my single front ended up turning into a totally different fish from what I was told he would become. He has all the grace of a big male in a colony, but has all of the outgoing personality of an Oscar. If you only have room for a tank like a 75, don't veto fronts yet!
Here's a step by step process to keeping a single and outgoing frontosa:

1.) Set up a tank of at least 75 gallons.
Anybody on MFK can figure out how to do this!
2.) Purchase your frontosa. Pick one that seems active, healthy, and outgoing. (by frontosa standards) of any variant. I've only used this process for small fronts so of recommend purchasing a 2" or so fish.
3.) Put the frontosa in the tank all alone for three months. Both fish I've done this with have dug caves underneath rocks due to initial nervousness.
4.) After three months, your front will have hopefully grown a little, and it's time to put in a few more fish. I recommend very small julidochromis.
Your frontosa will be very assertive with them because the whole tank has been his territory for three months. No damaging aggression should take place. With the new fish, your frontosa will always be out patrolling, hence seeing you more, therefore watching you feed him. Of all of this goes well, your frontosa wont really have the urge to spook or hide again.

I'm not trying to change the whole dynamic of the frontosa hobby. Most would rather see fronts in a colony but some want something a little different.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
Sounds helpful thanks for sharing
I had a dream about frontosas
As soon as i woke up i googled and youtube them.
And its true i want something a little diffrent ive been on the search for a new fish and i think i found it,thanks for the advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dieselfool

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
Barrie On Canada
I guess every once in awhile you'll find a really friendly, outgoing Front. This is the most friendly one I've ever seen. She's about 10" and she spends most of her time out swimming around and not hiding in her cave. When I walk into the room, she's there at the top begging for food with the rest of my Africans. Below is a vid of her eating from my hand. No....she doesn't live in this tank. My big male Front was hassling her so I had to put her into the q/t for a bit.

https://vimeo.com/65116146

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
I guess every once in awhile you'll find a really friendly, outgoing Front. This is the most friendly one I've ever seen. She's about 10" and she spends most of her time out swimming around and not hiding in her cave. When I walk into the room, she's there at the top begging for food with the rest of my Africans. Below is a vid of her eating from my hand. No....she doesn't live in this tank. My big male Front was hassling her so I had to put her into the q/t for a bit.

Thats nice, how long did it take yours to get that big,also i was just thinking 2 1male 1female??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio

nice looking front

Dieselfool

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
Barrie On Canada
Thats nice, how long did it take yours to get that big,also i was just thinking 2 1male 1female??

Yeah, 2, 1 male and 1 female. Herein lies the problem. LOL. Both were rescues and I was trying to see if they would get along, but that's just not happening. I found the male a few months ago and the woman needed to get rid of him as he was taking a beating from the larger male. She grew out a colony in a 110G. Once they started hitting sexual maturity, they started fighting. A couple months later she called me up asking if I could also take in a female. I knew it was a long shot, but decided to try anyway. They are both almost 9 yrs. old.
I now have her listed on the local classifieds trying to trade her. If I can't do that within the next week or so, I'll probibly just set up a 70G I have and let her live there on her own.
Here's a vid of what happened when he broke down the divider in the tank. No I was not enjoying this little rumble, it took everything I had just to let it go on for awhile. I was hoping that one would just give in and become submissive and everybody would live happily ever after. but after she gave up, he just wouldn't let her be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store