FX5 ?

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
I have recently purchased an FX5 canister filter and don't see anywhere on how much media to use. I bought the Fluval brand box of bio max (1) and placed in the middle rack and the 3pack carbon and put two of those in top rack, also put some more carbon pellets in bottom rack. It doesn't seem like it is enough. I have seen somewhere where they have filled those racks all the way to about one half inch from the top with the bio max and so Iam trying to find out how much bio max and carbon to use.Also does anyone know about carbon pellets and wether or not it is not as good as the other smaller stuff?Also I hear different things about how often you should clean the filters and replace carbon, some say they can go as much as 3 months, I know it depends on your stock , mine is 3 large (7 to 8 inch) S/A and 5 small to med (3 to 4 inch) S/A cichlids in a 125 gal, doing 30 % water changes weekly and also have 2 400 emperor hob's. Thank you for all your advice.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I have recently purchased an FX5 canister filter and don't see anywhere on how much media to use. I bought the Fluval brand box of bio max (1) and placed in the middle rack and the 3pack carbon and put two of those in top rack, also put some more carbon pellets in bottom rack. It doesn't seem like it is enough. I have seen somewhere where they have filled those racks all the way to about one half inch from the top with the bio max and so Iam trying to find out how much bio max and carbon to use.Also does anyone know about carbon pellets and wether or not it is not as good as the other smaller stuff?Also I hear different things about how often you should clean the filters and replace carbon, some say they can go as much as 3 months, I know it depends on your stock , mine is 3 large (7 to 8 inch) S/A and 5 small to med (3 to 4 inch) S/A cichlids in a 125 gal, doing 30 % water changes weekly and also have 2 400 emperor hob's. Thank you for all your advice.
The fx5 is really good for Mech filtration due to the sponges but absolutely terrible for the bio...you should have the bottom 2 trays filter with matrix or aquaclay, and the top with carbon/biochem-zorb/purigen(in bags)

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
I would not agree with this post.The FX5 is not bad at bio at all.I run 2 FX5s top trays with fluval prefilter media and the bottom 2 with biomax.I have 2 Pacu and a Pleco and they are doing just fine.
The fx5 is really good for Mech filtration due to the sponges but absolutely terrible for the bio...you should have the bottom 2 trays filter with matrix or aquaclay, and the top with carbon/biochem-zorb/purigen(in bags)

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
So you don't use any carbon at all?
I would not agree with this post.The FX5 is not bad at bio at all.I run 2 FX5s top trays with fluval prefilter media and the bottom 2 with biomax.I have 2 Pacu and a Pleco and they are doing just fine.

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
nope no need for carbon just do weekly water changes!

twistedsnap

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2009
southern il
I have my pre filter on the bottom of my fx5. Should I move mine to the top??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
It's decent at bio but turnover and capacity determines the turn over rate which I assume is better for bio filtration.

3 trays 2/3 full of Chem stars for me, don't want to clog it up too much and drop gph.

The sponges only catch med/lg debris, run a hob filled with filter padding for that

Go S.Vettel #1 RB8 3X WDC!!!!!!!!!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
You put the prefilter in the top basket then biomax in the bottom 2 or you can run all 3 trays with biomax.Its up to you and your stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store