looking to find a quick and effective way of getting rid of green

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
Hello all,

i have a 180 gallon tank in my living room. there really is nowhere i can put it that is out of direct sunlight for part of the day. i think it is this that is starting to cause my green water? the stuff is stubbern because i have been doing twice weekly water changes and it still seems to be effecting it. i also have been vacuuming the gravel every other change to help eliminate additional materials that could effect the tank. it has been week after week that the problem is getting slowly worse and i was hoping someone had a answer that i can try for cleaning it up. i herd that if the water gets algae in it then your stuck with it. i just want my tank clear again:D

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
Hello all,

i have a 180 gallon tank in my living room. there really is nowhere i can put it that is out of direct sunlight for part of the day. i think it is this that is starting to cause my green water? the stuff is stubbern because i have been doing twice weekly water changes and it still seems to be effecting it. i also have been vacuuming the gravel every other change to help eliminate additional materials that could effect the tank. it has been week after week that the problem is getting slowly worse and i was hoping someone had a answer that i can try for cleaning it up. i herd that if the water gets algae in it then your stuck with it. i just want my tank clear again:D
oh and i forgot to add that the 55 galon under it really has no problems staying clear.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Get a UV lamp and run it inline with a canister filter. I use a turbotwist 12x inline with my fx5.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
hello thanks for the help. i am currently looking into the uv light that is part of the filter as a problem, possibly need a bulb. but three 60% water changes in three days got it all cleared up for the most part and i have a new filter coming wed. i hope that will cure things after that one is successfully running i can swap out the changes between filters so im not just relying on one.

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
I've found that without a UV sterilizer if it sits in front of a window it will always be a problem

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
uv would definately help, as does your WC and gravel vac. easy solution would be a dark background to block where the light is entering... depending on how the light hits it. maybe a bit of light UV rated tint on your windows? moms house has all windows tinted and looks great

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
Uv will help. But it will Need to be a quality uv. No cheapie. I'd recommend to put it on its own controllable loop and pump. You will need to be able to dial it in for flow rate. Once you have that then big big water changes. Try to find a way to dim the lights. It may not go away if the light can't be reduced.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
great any one of you have a recommendation on bulb strinth? i am waiting until my new filter comes in, then i'm going to take the one hooked up off line and see if the bulb even works in it. i thought when i got the tank it was an FX5 but found out after the first filter cleaning that it was not. (rookie mistake) i was bummed but oh well. all i can do is put the pennies together someday to get one or two. also the 200 gallon filter i have does have a UV bulb in it i just cant see if it is working without taking the head apart witch i will tomorrow. so if it is not working and i order a new one what size should i get?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store