Canister filter placement...

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
Ok here's the thing all of my canisters that I got on my tanks are on the floor, about 3-4' lower than the tank. But, my question is can I use a canister on a tank that is pretty much on the ground? The tank is in a double stand so putting a HOB is going to a pain and since a canister can be put in reach would be more accessible for maintenance. Or are there other options for filtration? I don't have space for a sump so that's out of the question. Thanks for any help!

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
ive run a fluval cannister on the same level as the tank before without an issue. slightly harder to prime as gravity isnt on your side as with under tank placement, but once cannister and pipes were full I had no problems

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
the flow seemed to be no different to times ive had it below tank. I had the return about 3 feet from the cannister itself and there was a sag in the pipe and it still pumped out fine. I think so long as it is siphoning, which it will do once started unless its above the tank level, it should work no problems.

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
Just curious why do they recommend to place them under the tank... planning on putting a fx5 on my 125. The 125 only sitting on a 2x4 and the fx5 is going to be on the floor.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
the motor/impeller is only supposed to push the water out of the cannister. tank to filter water movement is gravity fed ie syphon effect. it relies on that syphon down motor up loop to operate. that's why it's harder to prime, you have to use the filters priming action to drag the water through the hoses. once its all full of water it will syphon fine. when you are setting up, fill the cannister with tank water first. that way its only the pipes you are filling. I dont know for sure, but its possible operating the filter in this way puts more strain on the motor and could shorten the life of the filter. im just speculating a worst case scenario.

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Most are designed to work just as efficiently. I seem to remember someone testing this and posting results in a thread, might try to find that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store