Cycles.....Hmmmmm!

Achill3s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2010
Florida
So I keep hearing all this information stating that there should be some nitrites showing up in your tank and the ammonia and nitrate should be at 0ppm. I disagree with this. From my experience, having 0ppm on all 3 doesn't mean you cycle isn't going properly. I have multiple tank that have 0ppm on all 3 params and have never once had a problem with how my tank cycles. It is overfiltered, flips 13.5/hr. Substrate is cichlid sand,(black and white) and My tank is over populated. Has 13 Mbuna, 4 tetras, 1 large Blood Parrot, one 3 yr old royal pleco and 3 small BN plecos. Have never had any issues with my params. Why is this nitrite so vital to have, as its never affected any of my tanks. Keep in mind that 5 of my tanks are planteed and the 75 cichlid community tank is not. 3 of my tanks including the 75 gallon have been up and running for 3 or more years.

Achill3s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2010
Florida
Ok, but my 75 is not planted and has been up and running with 0ppm on everthing for 3 years now. I have never had any issues with my fish.

Now I'm not trying to say your wrong just that I'm not sure thats correct. There has to circumstances where this occurs on a nonplanted tank.

Achill3s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2010
Florida
Not unless you are very understocked and do a lot of water changes or if you have anaerobic bacteria in your filter

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Well I know that I am not understocked, its a 75 with 23 fish in it. its massively overfiltered, with 2 AC110's, 500gph on each. I run a sponge in each, then carbon, then on one I have Biomax, the other has ammonia remover bag(looks like crushed up biomax. And no plants, cause its a mbuna tank

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Your ammonia remover is stealing the food supply from whatever bacteria would be in the tank, therefore you will not have any conversion of ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates.

Achill3s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2010
Florida
My filters are cycled!

Ammonia Remover is a natural ion-exchange media designed to remove toxic ammonia. Controlling ammonia levels reduces stress on fish. Use Ammonia Remover chemical filter media to provide a healthy environment when setting up a new aquarium or maintaining one that contains a higher than average fish stock. For freshwater aquariums.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store