750g L-shaped aquarium build

bluehand

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
I am in the planning stages of an L-shaped tank, dimensions being roughly 30" x 30" and 9' per leg, I figure it to be about 750ish gallons. This will be the largest tank build I have ever done so I will be tossing alot of questions out here in the next few weeks, first one being about my filtration set up. I am going to build my own wet/dry sump filter with K1 kaldnes, sponge mechanical, and submersible pump(s) I have found a few different calculations on how many GPH I will nee to turn this tank over as much as will be needed. I currently have 2x Catalina Aquarium CA 6000 AQUA pumps that I may use depending, that will result in about 3k GPH turnover. Will that be enough turn around for this tank?

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
I dont think thats going to be nearly enough flow. If you look at the flow chart from their website..

.. at 6ft of head pressure the CA6000 can pump out ~2200 l/hr, which is equivalent to ~580 gph. If you have two of them that's a little over 1000 gph for your entire tank, which is a little over 1x turnover rate.

Not to mention that you have two legs on your L shaped tank so it would probably be best to have one pump for each leg, so only 580gph pushing down a 9' leg isnt going to do much.

Also, those pumps look horribly inefficient as they each use 163W and only give you 580gph at 6' head.

In comparison a Laguna Maxflo 4280 which also draws 160W will pump out 2853gph at 6' head. If it were me I would consider getting two of these.

I would definitely look for different pumps though.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Agree that you will want a lot of turn over(flow) in the tank, especailly with a L shape where junk and gunk has to travel. Also sponges for mechanical are really not great for large setups, look into running 4 filter socks 100-200 micron rating and get the 7"x17" or 7"width x 32"length, Or also another idea before you spend allot of money on a large sump and everything look into getting a bead or glass filter and make it an enclosed loop which would be great and can be cheaper depending on what your looking at. Just some ideas

bluehand

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Thank you, I have been looking at some other pump options. I was pondering the two CA6000's because i already had them around, doesnt look like they will be enough after all. After doing a bit of looking I found a Jebao JGP30000 (7900gph) It claims 5950 GPH at 6' I have no experience with these pumps at all so not really sure. It seems cheap enough at $200 but wanted to get a few opinions maybe before buying something I might regret later.

bluehand

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Looked at a few bead filters today, I think you may be right that it could be cheaper (and alot less hassle it would seem) I will figure it out both ways and see. Bead filter would certainly take up less space. Now to figure out how big of one I would need lol. The prices seem to range very drastically. TY for the advice :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store