Plants in cichlid tank

LilBabyEmma

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Morgantown
I'm thinking of getting some Val's for my tank again I had them in the past but they didn't make it because they didnt have enough roots to stay in the sand. I was wondering if root tabs would effect my water in any way

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
The only downside to using root tabs that I've had in the past was an increase in algae growth, which I assume is due to the increased iron in the water. Beyond that I did have problems with certain fish trying to uproot plants by digging out the roots, specifically my yellow lab male and ruby red male (dominant fish). One suggestion around that is rather than planting the roots directly in the sand/substrate, buy plants that are in those plastic cage-like pots, and just bury the whole pot. Then you don't have to worry about root damage or poor substrate (sand), and if the fish do manage to un-bury the base as mine try to, the potted roots usually wont float away.

izit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Ft. Worth
osmocote plus is what i'm using, trying planting em in the clay potting so the fish wont dig em up.

Ineedmoney4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2012
fort collins, co
To keep my plants in place I just tie some rocks to the bottom root ball. Haven't moved since. I only use really big swords thou. In with full grown peacocks and mbunas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store