Sponge filters

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
Do they really make a big difference?
I have a 55 gallon filtered by a Fluval 406 decked out with all sponge and bio, no carbon, Aquaclear 70 all sponge and bio ceramics no carbon, Top Fin 20 stuffed with semi aquatic plants, and a medium sized spongefilter. The occupants are a 7" severum named Seven, 8...nevermind 6 guppies, a 5" albino longfin bristlenose pleco.

The spongefilter has become kind of an eyesore and I was just thinking of removing it and using it solely on a qt 10 gallon in combination with a ten gallon filter stuffed with sponge. Removing that sponge filter in the 55 wouldn't cause some kind of shock to it's little ecosystem and cause an ammonia spike would it? I also added a big piece of driftwood and want to free up a little swimming room. Plus I'm treating for ich right now and want to remove any spores there too.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
As long as your other two filters have been on there for a good while you have enough BB in them to maintain that stock I think. You should be ok.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

baji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai, India
IMO sponge filters and undergravel filters hold 80% more of the BB than the other filters... but they are outdated...

MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
the 2 other filters (if mature ) should prevent a LARGE ammoia spike ... but its likely you will see a minor effect

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store