Intersting spawning behavior from my Labeotropheus Fuelleborni.

Dispatch273

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
CT
To my surprise these guys started spawning during a water change this morning. I was able to get the most interesting part on video. Has anyone here had a male do this? As of right now they are still spawning and the male is still holding eggs. Make sure to watch in HD!

[YT]oSf_CVnv3mE[/YT]

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
they're gettin their grove on! those are some nice little fish! any eggs yet?

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Seeing this reminds me why im getting into africans now. So cool. Nice fish lady! So the male is holding eggs?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Yes, there have been a number of reported cases of rare male mouthbrooders holding, including to completion of hatching. Frontosa males do it often, and the fry have to be stripped. I read that mouthbrooders were evolved from delayed mouth brooding of laid eggs as cichlids like to manipulate eggs and fry with their mouth, then to bi parental immediate mouth broodng, and eventually to maternal mouth brooders releasing the males to mate with more females. So what you saw is a regression behavior in evolution.

tanharold

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Philippines
Interesting. Not bad!

Dispatch273

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
CT
Did I miss something? I don't see the male holding any eggs? Just looks like the OB female is? Good Luck and Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks! At about 58 seconds you see the male spit eggs out and pick some back up. As they spawned he would pick up more eggs and is still holding them now :)

Seeing this reminds me why im getting into africans now. So cool. Nice fish lady! So the male is holding eggs?
Thanks lady! The male and female are both holding as of right now. It will be interesting to see how long the male holds for. I'm going to try to get a video of him holding later :) Ya know I have a bunch of sulfur head fry I could send you right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
If you want the male and female to hold, don't feed them. If they are in a community tank, don't feed the entire tank for a week or more. The temptation of food will trigger early abortion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store