Comparing Cichlid Pellet Brands

Dweenyo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Hey y'all, I have a question for you.

Why is it that so many cichlid owners use and recommend Hikari pellets for their cichlids? I ask because I always compare the guaranteed analysis of any food before using it and I've noticed there are brands that beat hikari in min. protein, min. fat, and max. ash. Are there other additives that make Hikari, or any other food for that matter, better?

Thanks for the help.

lighthouse39183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mississippi
My cichlids like them, they don't cloud the tank water, and the price is reasonable. I use the Hikari Gold and the fishes colors are always vibrant.

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
Hikari is a reputable brand with a fair price, and also has a much larger selection of foods than other "premium" brands that I've seen. I normally feed NLS, have fed Omega One in the past, and also use hikari gold medium pellets for one picky fish who wont eat sinking. There's others out there who need hikari's Massivore and no other brand offers a comparable pellet to beat. IMO: NLS > OmegaOne > Hikari > xxx > xxx > tetramin/aqueon. Fill in the x's with any brand you might happen across, they all better than tetra. again, that's my opinion.

Burtess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
Ontario, Canada
(Insert long winded, boring explanation on why nls is the best food here)
Lol....

I have fed NLS before but only the large fish formula because it floats, seemed ok.....

For the longest time I feed Hikari Gold in various sizes, and Omega One Super Kelp pellets in a mix to all my fish...... they are still alive lol....

Burt :)

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
Hikari is decent and is a good price. It is aslo the only large floating pellet at petsmart... i also use aquegon pellets and so far they seem okay but i just started using them last week. I ave used omega one before and it is pretty good, NLS is good too...

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
(Insert long winded, boring explanation on why nls is the best food here)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Agreed. I will say I used hikari cichlid gold for years and had no issue. I now feed nothing but NLS, and yes it always seems to take longer for fish to convert to NLS than hikari, but I found it to be worth while

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store