Overstocked 75g - best way to filter?

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Setting up a Lake Malawi 75g tank and Africans do better when overstocked. I know bigger is always better but that's not always the case with the ole wallet. So what are some thoughts on the best/easiest/cheapest/effective way to filter this tank? Was thinking two AC110s or a single large canister.

Tank is not drilled - during the summer we get several power outages due to storm and on the weekends I am usually not home. Have heard horror stories of power outages when using the over flow boxes so wanted to mention that I'm usually gone on the weekends during the summer and wouldn't want to be coming home to this so a sump is not an option.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ac110 and a big sponge filter on a 150-200 gph powerhead would be MOST cost effective, other than that I would do 2 ac 110's

Shipwreck74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2013
Alabama
Properly set up sumps and overflows do not do that. People who have that problem missed the one step that says drill a 1/16-1/8" anti-siphon hole in the over flow. I kill the power to my 50 gallon sump on my 200 gallon tank once a week to feed my fish feeders. It has never once come close to over flowing. just my 2 cents.

However to answer your question, I run 2 Marineland Penguin 350's (50 to 70-Gallon, 350 GPH) and a 160 GPH powerhead. I too have a overpopulated 75 gallon with large cichlids and my water is crystal clear. I do have to spray out the filter pads once every week or two.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Agree about the properly designed sump thing. But if you don't want to go sump then keep an eye out for a cheap second hand canister if you want bang-for-buck. Cheap FX5's are easy enough to fine here (no idea what the market is like where you are) and I wouldn't hesitate to run one on a 75g packed full of cichlids.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Agree about the properly designed sump thing. But if you don't want to go sump then keep an eye out for a cheap second hand canister if you want bang-for-buck. Cheap FX5's are easy enough to fine here (no idea what the market is like where you are) and I wouldn't hesitate to run one on a 75g packed full of cichlids.
TRUE ..I have also noticed good deals on canister filters on amazon (xp3 for 114.00):popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store