apple snails Vs Live plants

iskim321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2013
titusville
i have 2 apple snails in my 75 gal african tank.

One of them has just laid a clutch of eggs, and my first reaction when i noticed them was "ewwwww" so i scraped them into the tank hoping the fish would eat them.
( i dont want a population of snails in my tank )

so i have 2 questions, will the 2 existing snails have a big impact if i added a few live plants? i know they eat plants, but how much?

and will the eggs hatch under water? im hoping the fish will just eat them, but if they dont ill scoop them out and just throw them away.

thanks in advance!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I wouldnt add any live plants to a tank with apple snails... When i first kept one un-knowingly in my old tank with a few plants in it, i woke up next morning to a tank of driftwood and stems...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ahsam

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2012
mars
The Apple snail will eat the live plant after algae runs out. The only plants would be Possibly thicker leaves plants

Tone123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Canada
I have kept my apple snail fine with plants. but i feed him wafers and he eats them in 5 min, cool to watch though.

LauraC94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2013
Huddersfield, England
An apple snail once appeared in my tank..I think a young one must have hitch hiked somewhere, but all of my lovely plants very quickly got eaten, even though it was a smallish snail.
I very promptly took it back to my lfs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store