Jewel cichlid acting paralyzed

Jhoss1511

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2012
Morgantown West Virginia
Hey everyone,
so I have been looking for a breeding pair of jewel cichlids finally i got a male and female together and within 2 days of introducing them, they paired and eggs were laid and fertilized! ( I know this because I saw it happen) last night before I went to bed the parents were takin turns fanning the eggs. The following day when I went to check on them, all the eggs were gone, and the female seems to be like paralyzed. She can't move her tail at all and only can drag it. She moves using her pectoral fins with her tail dragging. Anyone have any idea what happend?? End if there is anything I can do to help her?

Additional info:
tank size: 125G
tankmates: green terror, severum, pleco
water parameters: ammonia=0 nitrites and nitrates=0 and PH=8

FlatFishLeo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
USA
How do you know she's acting? Maybe broken spine or swim bladder issue? How did you verify eggs were fertilized? Jewels usually don't have infertility issues. Good luck with the spawn! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhoss1511

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2012
Morgantown West Virginia
Flatfish-
I know they were fertilized bc I saw the male do it, also when I say acting I don't mean "pretending" it's like she can't move her tail off the ground. The eggs however are gone, I'm guessing another fish ate them. So I'm guessing it is possible for a fish to get paralyzed? Thanks for the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hoodtatz

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Ohio
I'm not sure about being paralyzed but I have jewels and more then often the y both eat the eggs the following morning I myself have watched them eat them I first thought they was moving them until they successfully hatched a batch and did what they do I never removed the babies until they were at least 1/4 inch my thought is they know when they are ready mine personally laid three sets of eggs before successfully laying and not eating hope yours go at it again they useually do lol just give em time.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhoss1511

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2012
Morgantown West Virginia
Hoodtatz-
Thanks alot for the info, Im sure thats exactly what happend to the eggs then! However the female will still not move her tail off the substrate. Its like she can only use her pectorial fins to move, so sad.

hoodtatz

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Ohio
Sorry no idea on that never happend before but good luck and hope sage recovers maybe separate them for a little bit see if that may help but I'm not positive.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
I have the same problem with one of my red zebras. I came home one day and noticed the fish could only move her front pectoral fins. I was going to euthanize her but her mate seems to be protecting her from other cichlids. Its been about three days now and she seems to be eating and behaving normally (other than the immobility) I'll let you know if anything changes.

Jhoss1511

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2012
Morgantown West Virginia
Just an update mine recovered like 70% and has produced 1000s of offspring so I have no idea what really happened and she isn't 100% by any means but is doing her thing!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store