Stocking a 120g, Suggestions?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
So I am getting an amazing deal on a 4x2x2 with a sump and everything, I might not use the sump right away, and I will save setting that up for another thread entirely but I want to know some good suggestions for stocking the tank.

so this will be the first "display worthy" tank I have, The back and sides are covered with neat white plastic, its drilled in the bottom for the sump outlet (currently siliconed over) it has a nice stand an everything. it actually looks really good, unlike my 225 which is on a bare frame stand and kinda messy (but still awesome).

So first let me tell you what I don't want to get the ball rolling

I do not want CA/SA cichlids. I kept them for 10 years and I hope to never see them for a long time in my tanks.

Here are a few Ideas I have had so far, but feel free to wow me

African Cichlid set up - any combination of africans, I kept them years ago and I really miss their colours and being able to stock many in one tank. plus they breed easy and are fun to watch.

Marine fish only aquarium - maybe a puffer, a trigger, some of the cool fish only fish

Brackish aquarium - I originally planned this for my 225 but I thought the cost of salt would be too high so i said I would do it if i ever got a smaller tank
A few scats, some mono's, colombian sharks. and any other brackish fish that I can fit in there, maybe a datnoid

SO let me know what you think I should do?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Hey chub, I forgot to mention I will not keep Moray's after a disaster I had a few years ago. I vowed to stay away from them haha,

could you replace the Moray with something else in your suggestion?

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
My fiance wants me to get a tank just for a cowfish, I have to admit they are kinda cool.

0_381fc431ce28a2f4a7bf103f675cb57b.jpg

0_381fc431ce28a2f4a7bf103f675cb57b.jpg

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Stop it guys you are tempting me to get a box fish!
what would make good tank mates in a 120 for the box fish ? are they fish only or reef?

I would still like to hear some non box fish related suggestions though!

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
brackish tank would be cool. I'm enjoying my Centrarchidae tank.
I originally wanted my 225 for brackish but ended up deciding against it for money reasons. I know they aren't the most colourful of fish but I was thinking of either

1. true brackish tank at around 0.008 with a few scats, mono's a pair of shark catfish, and then whatever else I feel like.
2. brackish tank that eventually ends up as full marine

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
single Fahaka puffer, good Idea?

I could get a 2" one and name him the Dahaka and keep him in the tank for life as a big wet pet.

Good Idea or should I keep thinking?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Starting to wonder why I even make threads on this site when nobody responds. there has been 2 threads for 55 and 75 gallon stockings that have received more answers in less time

I'm starting to think maybe everyone has a "let's not help or answer Rafini pact" or people on this site just generally aren't very friendly/helpful anymore.

I was overjoyed to share my new purchase with the guys on MFK and get some good suggestions but I guess nobody really gives a crap unless its about pbass or cichlids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store