Anyone do an aquarium webcam?

I'm thinking about doing one so I can watch my tank while i'm at work? Is there wireless wifi option available today? IS the technology advanced enough that the video is clear? How does it work?

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I've seen one or two posted on the site before, so I know it can be done; I've always like the idea myself and have wondered about it as well.

Hopefully someone will chime in and give some answers!

In the mean time, if I come across one of the older webcam threads I'll post a link here (last one I saw seemed to have clear video that wasn't too laggy).

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I use verizon's home monitoring service. I actually bought it specifically to watch my tanks, all of which are in the basement. I had a bad experience where a canister filter pumped just over 30 gallons of water all over my floor, so I prefer to be able to watch.

I shelled out the extra look for the pan and tilt camera with the led lights. Love it. Not the best picture in the world, but it does what I need. Plus I can view it from my cell phone.

There's actually a webcam on sale over at www.woot.com that we use at work, which would also suit your needs. My boss logs in to a website and can control the camera and watch what's going on in the stores.

I use verizon's home monitoring service. I actually bought it specifically to watch my tanks, all of which are in the basement. I had a bad experience where a canister filter pumped just over 30 gallons of water all over my floor, so I prefer to be able to watch.

I shelled out the extra look for the pan and tilt camera with the led lights. Love it. Not the best picture in the world, but it does what I need. Plus I can view it from my cell phone.

There's actually a webcam on sale over at www.woot.com that we use at work, which would also suit your needs. My boss logs in to a website and can control the camera and watch what's going on in the stores.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I would have thought there would have been a cheap way to do it effectively by now. I guess i'll have to wait another 10 years or so...

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
To be fair, Verizon's service is $10/month - and even they admit that you can purchase any wireless technology made by "Z wave" and it's compatible with their gateway device. This is all a moot point if you don't use Verizon though.....

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
when I set up a cam to keep an eye on the dogs (so I knew who chewed up what) I just made a nonsense yahoo ID and used messenger. live streaming cam all day for free.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
There was one on here a while ago

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store