My tank just keeps getting filthy!

AionAris

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2013
Orlando FL
I dont get it! I have a 30 gallon tank with some guppies, snails, live plants, and one baby terror chilid. Im also using storebought aquarium sand. I'm using a 45 gallon filter and ive frequently been cleaning the tank and replacing the filter. in one to two days the water is already merky as heck. Can hardly see in it. whats causing this?!?!

joeypaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Lakeland,Florida
Is it cloudy? Sounds like bacteria bloom. I recommend not changing inserts until they are literally falling apart. All I would do is rinse them in used aquarium water. You maybe still cycling.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kingofthejungle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2012
Virginia
All filters are not created equal.
Questions that come to mind.
1. Can you post a pic (setup/conditions)
2.water parameters
3. Tank location (near window?)
4.how long has this tank been setup
5.type of filter
6. When you clean what is your procedure (could be killing b.b. thus restarting the cycle)
7. Is/are there dead spots or a lot of waste on the bottom. (May need a powerhead)
?????

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
2.water parameters
5.type of filter
6. When you clean what is your procedure (could be killing b.b. thus restarting the cycle)
7. Is/are there dead spots or a lot of waste on the bottom. (May need a powerhead)
?????
Agreed more info needed. Also do you have driftwood in the tank?

AionAris

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2013
Orlando FL
2.water parameters
5.type of filter
?????
I just set the tank up like 7 days ago. I clean the deadspots with a net i bought.. I have a quiet flow filter Its not exactly near a window

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
I just set the tank up like 7 days ago. I clean the deadspots with a net i bought.. I have a quiet flow filter Its not exactly near a window

Probably a combination of the tank not being cycled, a crappy filter, and possibly some sun getting to it.

LauraC94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2013
Huddersfield, England
The problem is probably because you didn't cycle your tank and it is a bacterial bloom, do you have any other tanks? If so swap some of the filter media in your cycled tank to introduce beneficial bacteria into your new set up. It could also be a problem with the sand, did u rinse it before you used it? If not it is most likely small particles that will also slow down the flow of your filter as it will clog it up.

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
whats your water change like? weekly, every other week? monthly? you should do water change atleast weekly, if not twice a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store