NLS pellets inedible?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Hi,
So in transitioning my CA/SA Cichlid's and Red-tail Botia's from quality Spirulina flakes to pellets, I have fed nothing but the NLS pellets for the past 5 days. However my Botia's and Oscar simply will not eat them. The Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and Blood Parrot will do so occasionally (they eat enough of the pellets for me not to be concerned).
In weening the whole community from Spirulina flakes to NLS pellets I was advised that 3-4 days of only pellets should create enough hunger for them to accept the NLS pellets, but as today is day 5, is it a possibility that they will not eat them at all, and that I must try switch to another pellet?

Thank you very much

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
They'll eat them, trust me. I always seem to have a little trouble getting them on to it at first. Your fish are used to the soft, easy to eat flakes, and will take time to become comfortable with eating the hard NLS pellets. Sometimes soaking them in some tank water first helps to soften them up, and your fish may more readily take them.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
im not a huge fan of nls, after getting annoyed at cost of massivore i tried to switch, but only 2 pacu i had ate it. i tried to feed it to everything from cichlids to bass n rays, i did have one gar always try but would spit it oout. i wasnt sure if my fish were spoiled by massivore or if they just didnt like nls, but i ended up giving a full can to lfs

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
im not a huge fan of nls, after getting annoyed at cost of massivore i tried to switch, but only 2 pacu i had ate it. i tried to feed it to everything from cichlids to bass n rays, i did have one gar always try but would spit it oout. i wasnt sure if my fish were spoiled by massivore or if they just didnt like nls, but i ended up giving a full can to lfs
Nls is really dense and sometimes fish won't accept it because of that. I think its a good food, lol but my fish prefer Hikari.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I had to switch back to massivore pellets. I tried nls for a month and noticed all my Dats and my catfish were eating significantly less. They would eat 2 or 3 nls pellets every other day compared to 8-10 massivore pellets daily. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing but it didn't seem good to me at the time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I had to switch back to massivore pellets. I tried nls for a month and noticed all my Dats and my catfish were eating significantly less. They would eat 2 or 3 nls pellets every other day compared to 8-10 massivore pellets daily. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing but it didn't seem good to me at the time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I was told that nls is rich so less food is needed....but Idk if its true or not

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I was told that nls is rich so less food is needed....but Idk if its true or not
It's not that they are "rich", but that they are more dense than most other pellets on the market. They have fewer air pockets inside the pellet, which means more quantity for the same size pellet as many other brands. It just means you don't have to feed as much. I have also read that NLS will not swell due to becoming hydrated in the stomach as much as other pellets, which reduces the risk or constipation and bloat. I am switching my cichlids from Hikari to NLS next week. I just can't get Hikari in the small size I need for my smaller cichlids (either babies or dwarf adults).

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store