Odd Tank Bosses?

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Anyone have one fish in the tank that just sort swims around like he owns the place, but would be the last one you would have guessed to do so? I have a lone tiger barb in my 75, along with 5 giant danios and a Green terror. He actually got scooped into the bag with the danios somehow when I was buying dithers, but he chases my green terror around sometimes. He even bites at my arm/hands if I stick them in the tank to move things around.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Nope. Out of my current stock the fish you'd expect to be the boss is the boss.

However, in my old natives setup that had LMB, SMB, channel cats, a blue cat, chubs, a couple darters, a rock bass, three crappie and a half dozen longear sunfish, a male sunfish who was one of the smallest fish in the tank was the undisputed ruler. It was funny to me.

otmmy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2013
Alberta,Canada
I thought about starting a thread kind of like this just about community fish that are bullies. I have had a few odd fish that were the king of the tank. I had a danio that would chase my fire mouth around, had a big purple passion danio in a school with some other ones then he eventually killed them all and a few other fish then I put him in my Oscar tank and the Oscar would mess with it for the longest time I also seen the danio chase the Oscar around the tank which totally blew my mind, I also have a hatchet fish right now that killed his whole school and a few of my guppies he is such a mean little bugger. I just shows people that every fish has its own personality

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
Flagtail is the boss in my community. But in the more aggressive tanks the fish I figured would be the boss turned out to be the boss. I have a female pink con with my Midas grow outs who used to be the boss but that dynamic shifted when the Midas got to be twice her size

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Flagtail is the boss in my community. But in the more aggressive tanks the fish I figured would be the boss turned out to be the boss. I have a female pink con with my Midas grow outs who used to be the boss but that dynamic shifted when the Midas got to be twice her size

I've had some psycho convicts as well, but I think everyone has lol

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
The absolute smallest fish on my 72 gallon is a little tiger barb and he bites me the entire time my arm is in the tank. But, he is not the ruler of the tank, my Severum shows him whose boss every chance he gets

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
With my old stock was festae blackbelt and a fire mouth and a 4 line piM. The pim is the tank boss. Also when I had a red devil black belt and pink paratheraps (forget the name but was pink from Lac catemaco) the catfish was still the boss. Now all that stock is gone and he's still the boss

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
With my old stock was festae blackbelt and a fire mouth and a 4 line piM. The pim is the tank boss. Also when I had a red devil black belt and pink paratheraps (forget the name but was pink from Lac catemaco) the catfish was still the boss. Now all that stock is gone and he's still the boss
This is my experience as well. Cichlids get really nasty whenever they can, but most centrals are not equipped to handle a catfish of equal size and temperament. I had a channel cat covered in scars from a nasty male jag, but one tail flip or headbutt would knock the jag into next week.

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
This is my experience as well. Cichlids get really nasty whenever they can, but most centrals are not equipped to handle a catfish of equal size and temperament. I had a channel cat covered in scars from a nasty male jag, but one tail flip or headbutt would knock the jag into next week.

Ditto. My old Asian red tail cat used to take a dump on an assortment of C.A bruisers (jag, Midas, juvi dovii) whenever the mood took him. Everyone stayed the hell away from him when he would leave his cave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store