My Anguilla sp.

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Just snapped a few (rather crappy) photos of one of my 3 Anguilla sp. eels. This is the middle sized eel @ ~30 inches and almost 2 lbs. I have a larger eel that's 3 feet long and well over 2.5 lbs but it wasn't cooperating for photos.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1367512727.677575.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1367512780.763855.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1367512805.731490.jpg

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Why dont i know more about these kind of eels? Awesome.

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry for not replying, forgot about this topic lol. They aren't A. Rostrata - I got them from my local Asian supermarket and apparently they're imported from either vietnam or Thailand, I'm guessing they could possibly be Anguilla bicolor. They don't seem to do too well in cool water and much prefer tropical temps unlike the A. rostrata I've kept back when they were still legal. Those did well in a variety of water temperatures. I've had a few of these eels refuse to eat/eat very little in ~68 F water and magically start eating once I rose the temp into the 80 F range.

They all hand feed although I generally use my aquascaping forceps as the big one can give a decent bite and they tend to death roll if they grab onto something that feels big (your hand). I'm looking to get one or two more smaller ones (15-18 inches) for a smaller tank. They grow very slowly and can live for 40++ years if well taken care of. One of my top 5 favourite fish hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I agree, it just does not get much better than a large Anguilla sp. Specimen!
I wish I could find them locally. Catching one won't happen before I have a fishing license.
Are the A.Rostrata illegal in the whole US?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store