Mudy water :(

SeaTurtle

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2011
Earth
In cleaning up my aquarium I decided to take the sand out of it and replace it with dirt. I used Black Kow top soil. When I put it in there yesterday I was able to get it to be somewhat clear by filling the tank with water slowly. I then put a filter on it in the hopes that if there were any particles left that could make it cloudy they would sucked up and then I could just change the filter and get rid of them easily leaving me with a clean(er) tank from then on out. Turns out one of my banjo catfishes was in my amazon sword when I transferred it from the holding tank back to the 29 gallon. and I assume that what happened was his night foraging stirred up the dirt, which is now clouding the water. I did not cap the dirt with gravel or sand like most people say because I have two banjo catfishes and I dont want them getting hurt trying to burrow through rocks. sand will just eventually sink beneath the dirt. what do I do?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
what do I do?
you have muddy water.
nothing to do about it now.pull out the fish, drain, rinse and refill. filtering will take a long while and use a lot of filters and may even ruin your pump.
I've only tried capping once and it didn't work out very well for me.

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
what

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Yeah, you're gonna have to cap it in order to prevent any issues. Without capping it, you're never gonna get your water cleared up.

Moved to setup/filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store