HELP ! I washed my filter media. May have killed the good bacteria ?

GinoAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2013
Philippines
Hi guys, I recently cleaned my filter media the wrong way. I just washed it down with water. And I've read that it kills the good bacteria in my external filter ? The it has been running now for about 5 hours. The water seems cloudy and a little green. How do I make my water clear again ? And how can I possibly regain my good bacteria ? Can this possibly lead my Arowana to illness or death ? (God forbid)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1367573267.895196.jpg

GinoAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2013
Philippines
Thank you for the quick reply !! I have a koi aquarium but the filter is bigger than my Arowana tank filter. I can't buy on eBay, but ill do a quick run to a pet store. Ill look for something similar that says "biological bacteria" ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
No problem. You could take some filter media out of the koi filter and put it in the arowana filter.

Lovely looking fish btw. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
I wouldn't feed for a day or two as well though just to give your bacteria a chance to reestablish themselves.

Daily water changes would help as well

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
yes of course ... but you can add some benficial bacteria solution to speed up the colonization ;)

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Your best bet is to put some media from your other aquariums filter in that one. Those "bottled bacteria" products are really hit and miss

Sent from my SCH-M828C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store