Had my first PetSmart fish purchase experience today!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not intending for this to be yet another thread bashing the place but just wanted to share a few observations...Once I told the attendant which fish I wanted she went into her litany of questions about my set up before even attempting to catch my fish and when she got around to asking how big my tank was,and after I replied with,"which one?"she was done with her inquiries..

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
My favourite is when I tell them I have a 225 gallon tank and they respond "Oh do you mean 225 litre's ?

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I preferred it when my employees asked some basic questions and verified they knew what they were getting into with certain fish. Now they ask nothing, just sell the fish, tell the customer what they want to hear and hope it lasts more than 14 days.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
My favourite is when I tell them I have a 225 gallon tank and they respond "Oh do you mean 225 litre's ?
This makes me laugh every time. ill agree that some stores are absolutely ridiculous but I think its wrong some threads (not this one) absolutely 100% say every pet store does it as the store I work out learns it's customers. and gauges whether they are experienced or novice. Rafini your absolutely correct though. 2 weeks ago I went to Pets at home to get some plastic plants for a fry tank and like usual the employees then jumped into asking about tanks etc. They then tried selling me a Bala shark for the tank in question (60litres) :0

"big ball of light, spits out dinosaurs" - Mac, Primeval New World

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Need details on the fish you purchased!
Ctenopoma acutirostre.They were labeled as African leaf fish,no crime there.It is about the size of a nickel and was priced at ten bucks.I had been looking for one for quite some time and was surprised that they had them there of all places..

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Ctenopoma acutirostre.They were labeled as African leaf fish,no crime there.It is about the size of a nickel and was priced at ten bucks.I had been looking for one for quite some time and was surprised that they had them there of all places..
My faveorite fish. I didnt know petsmart carried them.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I can see where they would be.Funny thing was after the employee was done with her questions I instructed her to net me the biggest one in the tank.She pretty much traumatized the fish in the tank and destroyed the decor as she waved the net around and tried to catch one.I was thinking to myself,"what happened to all of that concern for the fish's well being in the form of those questions you were just asking me?"....

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
...Once I told the attendant which fish I wanted she went into her litany of questions about my set up before even attempting to catch my fish and when she got around to asking how big my tank was,and after I replied with,"which one?"she was done with her inquiries..
Just came back from PetSmart a couple hours ago. I bought 10 feeders for my Gar. The employee while bagging them up...casually asked me what I was feeding them to.

I felt a bit paranoid that I was being setup for a "Greenpeace/Tree-hugging/Save The Whales" response about how feeding minnows was cruel...and that she wasn't going to sell me the minnows as feeders.

But luckily she didn't hassle me...and everything went fine!:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store