15 inch F gar... should be safe with rays???

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
New arrival FG 15 inch. Must say... this is about as oddball as you can get.
I really like it alot.

Ive researched and some say it can be risky with rays. I have 3 rays. 12 inch.. and I think rhe gar is big enough to not get pinned. Also read rays may get nipped in the feeding crossfire as both feed of the floor.
Any members care to share experiences?
Thanks in advance;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have two experiences with gars and rays. The first involved a 12" motoro housed with some Cuban gars and a couple floridas. The stingray was nipped a couple times prior to it one day being killed. My thoughts were that the Cubans were the ones to blame.

My second experience involves me ray sitting for a buddy. Again a motoro which was housed with Cubans, longnoses, floridas and a juvenile gator gar. Ray spent most of the time buried under the substrate but no aggression was noticed. This combination was for roughly a month.

I'd keep an eye on it especially with those black rays you got.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I have two experiences with gars and rays. The first involved a 12" motoro housed with some Cuban gars and a couple floridas. The stingray was nipped a couple times prior to it one day being killed. My thoughts were that the Cubans were the ones to blame.

My second experience involves me ray sitting for a buddy. Again a motoro which was housed with Cubans, longnoses, floridas and a juvenile gator gar. Ray spent most of the time buried under the substrate but no aggression was noticed. This combination was for roughly a month.

I'd keep an eye on it especially with those black rays you got.
Ok. Thanks for feed back. Sellor had kept the gar with 2 black rays which grew from 4 to 9 inch.. the rays never got touched.
Definatley will be keeping an eye on it though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Gars can be fed with floating pellets if there pellet trained, also I feed my gar whole prawns twice a week and he can snap it before it touches the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
I had a gar a while back... had it with my ray no problems, he too also used to eat floating lance fish or as they were sinking.

I may be picking up an 18" Florida Gar tomorrow, do you think it will be ok with my 18" RTG Aro?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I feed my gar floating first... then once they are "content" I start with the sinking food... I forgot to do this the other day and for the second time in 2yrs one of my rays got tagged by a gar going for the same peice of food. The gar immediately spitout what he had skinned offa my female retics disk... but I will keep an eye out that it doesn't become "common" imo it can really depend on the gars in question. I will be adding 2 trops shortly that have a rep for ray killing... but I will have my current gar and rays in the 1k gallon pool before they arrive... hopefully this along with regular feeding will keep the trops away... but with the rep of these 2 they will only get one chance to play nice as it is.. and imo it isn't a chance I'de "reccomend" but one I'm choosing to take. BUt I am also a stay at home mom so will be able to monitor the fish closely.

Generally my floridas are the most mellow gar of the species I own, so they will ime do well IF you feed floating or target feed them first... then feed the rays ect. they will "feel" around the bottom for food and in their focus snap at anything they bump.

Simonson

Exodon
MFK Member
May 15, 2013
Canada
Maybe try switching the florida gar to live food? I've got a 12" F-gar and a 6" wide motoro in a 75 gallon tank, gar stays well fed, and has never so much as given the ray a sniff to see if he's chomp worthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store