Dats & Cichlids

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Hey folks..Just sold my two 13inch geos that i've been raising for 6 years in my 125. I'm pretty sick about it, but i just don't think it was gonna work out in my big tank with my dat since he killed a big geo a few years ago. I still have 3 large red severums that I would love to add to the tank with him

Just wondering if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences with keeping dats & cichlids of any type together?

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I have dats with a severum. biggest dat is 6-7 inch and severum is about an inch smaller. at the moment the severum rules the roost. what will happen when the dat gets big? we shall see.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I have dats with a severum. biggest dat is 6-7 inch and severum is about an inch smaller. at the moment the severum rules the roost. what will happen when the dat gets big? we shall see.
Yea, i'm gonna attempt to put my 3 sevs with my dat tonight. Maybe he will get overwhelmed by all 3 of them going in at once and mellow out some. We'll see. Gd luck with yours btw for the future

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I have had various Dats & Peacock Bass combinations which have worked very well with no aggression
I forgot how many times I've seen dats and pbass together in tanks. They seem to work pretty well together by the pics I've seen. Never had pbass, but would love to get my hands on a large beauty of a Kelberi and try him out with the gang

addisonlee25

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2008
california
I forgot how many times I've seen dats and pbass together in tanks. They seem to work pretty well together by the pics I've seen. Never had pbass, but would love to get my hands on a large beauty of a Kelberi and try him out with the gang
I've had dats between 14-19" with pbass between 14-19" no problems between them.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Yea, i'm gonna attempt to put my 3 sevs with my dat tonight. Maybe he will get overwhelmed by all 3 of them going in at once and mellow out some. We'll see. Gd luck with yours btw for the future

Thanks :) I think it will be ok (crosses fingers) its only posturing, bit of chasing. it isnt sustained or outright violence lol

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Ime none of my dats have ever bothered any other tank mate other than dats. That being said, when provoked, they will attack. As long as the Sevs aren't nippy you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store