Bored of my african cichlids

s010245

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Philadelphia
I got a 90 gallon tank, my first big one a few months ago and stocked it with african cichlids. Thy are colorful and active and all but they do nothing else. Pretty much the only thing they have going for them is color. I think id rather an ugly fish with a cool personality than a cool looking one that does nothing. I feel like they are the same as the little mollies and tetras i used to keep only way more expensive.

If i do decide to convert the tank to a new spieces, what needs to be done? I have the special cichlid sand that helps raise the pH but i dont think it really effects it that much. Also can i use the same rocks and stuff or do i need to empty it and start from scratch??

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fibbingbear

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
SoCal
Hey man. Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your experience. I would recommend trying a south American set up. Discus are my favorite. You could try setting up a planted discus tank. You could also try more aggressive fish like jags or gars. There's a lot of possibilities you can try.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
sell your fish on craigslist and start over...

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
That all depends on what you pick. If you decide to go with a different type of cichlid you probably won't need to change anything unless the ph is too high. But, like the poster above me said, look into more aggressive central/south american cichlids and see if they strike your fancy.

Sent from my LG-LS696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
You wouldn't have to empty it or make any changes as long as the tanks doesn't sit empty for too long with nothing to feed the BB. Just be careful of any additions that need a low pH since they might require you to change the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store