Marine salwater question help

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
Sorry in advance if this topic has been discussed here but I jus set up my first saltwater predatory tank right now there is only a lionfish(3.5in), snowflake eel, and a small miniatus grouper(3in) and about 20lbs to 35lbs of liverock with some LR ruble in tank as well as in filter... my question is filtration I have two HOB filter one is a marineland 80gal and the other is a topfin can I get away with running this set up with water changes? Tank was fully cycled

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
How big is the tank?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I would probably say upgrade to a better system. Those are messy fish and will get bigger. Not a fan of top fin either, not had much luck with them and used to try and talk people out of buying them.

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
Yeah I dont really like it either I had it on a 30gal freshwater tank until I got rid of It but I just threw it on for extra filtration for the moment the marineland seems to work really good can I use that and some other filter what would you suggest.. I would like to stay away from a skimmer

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I'm not the best person with how long it's been since owning saltwater but maybe this can generate some interest from more knowledgeable members. Usually most go canister or sump.

Pfisherman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
Sandwich, Illinois
If the marineland HOB is a emperor 400, I say just get another one of those and you will be fine. You can put some GFO or chemipure in the media baskets and some extra carbon. then just clean the filter pads regularly, weekly.

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
Ok thanks for feed back... in regards to scavenger clean up crew for uneaten foods at the bottom what can I get from a lfs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store