Clean up crew? Waste management...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Ok, trying to do some research, and there's so many opinions everywhere, not sure which way to go...

My 75g tank, due to the way the rocks are set, wave maker orientation, etc. etc. ends up with fish waste collecting in little "dead zones" between rocks, where current is blocked, etc. And with my lighter colored sand, it really stands out...

I'm looking for a way to reduce this without just trial and error resetting everything for best current... I'm considering another wave maker at the other end of the tank, but in the meantime, looking for other options...

I've read about Malaysian Trumpet Snails being good sand sifters to keep things stirred up and mixed... But also of population explosion with them... Which leads to Assassin Snails... Raphael cats seem to be more carnivorous, so I'm assuming no good for waste byproduct...

Are there any other natural solutions, such as snails or cats that would help control my excess waste? Or at least clean it up/make things look better? Something that won't kill my cichlids, and that my cichlids won't kill? Peacocks, Haps, a couple Mbuna, and one Firemouth at the moment, all between about 2-3".

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
Maybe try a small school of mini-cats that will help stir things up in addition to more circulation. Raphael would work though they get a bit bigger faster than others, I like syno. petricola. Maybe add another small circ pump in the tank will help, but there will always be dead spots somewhere. Adding a pump controller to switch them on and off at alternating times will help keep the currents as random as possible, which is your goal.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
I have an albino bristlenose, and an L-66 Gypsy King Tiger pleco, so I'm good for algae control I believe, just looking for ways to control the visible waste a little better, and if there's a solution involving more entertaining aquatic critters, I'm all for it...

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Maybe try a small school of mini-cats that will help stir things up in addition to more circulation. Raphael would work though they get a bit bigger faster than others, I like syno. petricola. Maybe add another small circ pump in the tank will help, but there will always be dead spots somewhere. Adding a pump controller to switch them on and off at alternating times will help keep the currents as random as possible, which is your goal.
I was worried about small cats being picked on by the cichlids... will have to look those up, as scientific names normally leave me clueless still.

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
I was worried about small cats being picked on by the cichlids... will have to look those up, as scientific names normally leave me clueless still.

There are many Synodontis species, some getting larger than others, and I'm not sure if many of them have 'common' names. Some of the most common, S. Mulitpunctatus (Cuckoo cats) and S. Petricola, are very similar smaller cats that do well in groups >5 and grow very slowly. They are also found in nature along with many of the African cichlids out there. The "Upside-down cats" are usually these as well, and I can also often find "Tiger Syno" which I don't know the species to. My favorite looking fish in the genus is S. Angelicus, but I've never seen them in person and haven't seen prices in my range for them. Any of the synodontis sp. cats should work well in your situation, just make sure you get them in a group. >5 fish and they'll likely hide all the time and never see them. Larger groups will race around a lot more often.

As far as the fish you have with these cats, the firemouth when older may be mean on them, as well as certain types of haps. My peacocks and mbuna couldn't care less about the cats. Only trouble I've had is a 7"ish N. Fusco trying to swallow one of the cats and getting stuck. He hasn't made that mistake again.

snowman17.5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2013
Chicago
Shock nobody thought of jus feeding less often, lower stock, or add another powerhead I have 2 in my 55. So adding fish is not going to help the problem jus adds more waste.

Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
Shock nobody thought of jus feeding less often, lower stock, or add another powerhead I have 2 in my 55. So adding fish is not going to help the problem jus adds more waste.

Try reading the OP before acting so "shocked".

He said was considering additional powerheads, but was looking for alternative solutions to fixing the waste-in-dead-spot problem, including fish to stir up the waste. Feeding the fish less or lowering stock will not stop poo from building up in dead spots on the tank.

snowman17.5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2013
Chicago
Try reading on bio loads bro adding more fish will not help how can a fish stir up something if its in a dead spot between rocks and I was tryning to help so respond to the op with help. And a powehead is your best bet and feeding less worked for me. Also OP try moving rocks around kinda a trial and error thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store