Converting from fresh to saltwater

JBrebelsfootball

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2012
St.Louis, MO
Ok I bought a 40 breeder and have it cycling for about a month with fresh water. Originally had intentions of setting it up for dwarf South American cichlid tank. But my kids are really set on a saltwater tank. And since my whole purpose of getting into fish again was for my kids I guess that's the route I'm going. I use to have saltwater years ago. But have always been into fresh more. But let me get to my question sorry. Wondering if my equipment is suitable. I have a AC 70, Sun Sun canister filter 264 gph, 300 hyrdo inline heater, koralia magnetic water flow thing. But this brings me to my biggest question. Right now I have a led light fixture. It isn't a saltwater one. But would it be good enough for a FWOLR?

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Your light is good enough you don't need any special lighting for a fowlr. The canister I would avoid they are often nitrate traps and not that good of a filter for a saltwater tank. You should also get two power heads one for each side. Maybe infest in a good protein Skimmer (hob) or look into an algae scrubber too. And do not heavily stock

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
A skimmer would be ideal but if you can't get one for some reason I think it should be fine. Just make sure you clean out the AC70 regularly otherwise the saltwater and salt creep will destroy it over time.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Not exactly, I ran my tank without a refugium for awhile with fish but then I read about the benefits of having one some a made one for pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
I'd just go with a reef sump. They're at drsfostersmith.com pretty cheap. They have a section for a refugiums, protein skimming, and mechanical filtration. It's your best bang for your buck and you can still use your in line heating.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store