New to the salt water area with questions

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I just picked up a aqua pod system and I am looking to get new light bulbs for it,
Stock-
One 32 Watt 10k/6.7k
One 32 Watt 460nm /420nm

Should I stick with this or get 2 of the 10k/460nm units?

Plan to grow soft corals, hammer, toad stool, anemone, just playing with it at this point.

I already have a few tanks that I can upgrade to when I am ready to do so.

I am also going to buy some new fans, a new pump about 300gph, and see what I can do with it before I decide what I want to do in the future.

Should a y loc line setup with 2 jets be enough flow variety or should I order a little power head?

Also one of my freshwater tanks use to be a reef and im thinking of using that sand by removing it from the fresh tank(currently running as fresh) and putting it in here then adding live rock or should I really get new live sand?

Also will taking media from a freshwater tank speed up the cycle period in a saltwater tank by putting the media into the reef system?

Also do I really need ro water, all my tanks don't get filtered water at all, our water here is great my fish get it 24/7 and love it.

Thanks all for any advice or tips

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CanadianEH

Banned
May 5, 2013
Dallas
I would buy new sand

A rotting shrimp as well as freshwater tank media will spike the beginng of the cycle. I would just buy BioSpira and start the tank.

I never used RO water for my systems, our tap water is perfect.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sounds like a good idea to get new sand, I kinda figured I would , now I just need to find some live rock and get it all together to sit for a good while.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Other option what someone came up with was getting a blue combo light and then just a 10k and antinic, just wonder if that is enough white light for the coral

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Would a double 10k and then a double actinic work better

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
All depends on what kind of corals you want to grow, if you think your gonna wanna grow sps in the future you might as well get a nicer light to support them when you do. Metal halides would be best but LEDs or a few T5s would work too.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store