500 gallon african cichlid tank

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Decided to stick with Africans a couple months ago and here's a small video of the tank. Most are still very young and haven't developed their colors yet but it's only a matter of time :)

[video=youtube;TQkbdb4mDgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQkbdb4mDgc[/video]

Stock list:
6 Fossochromis Rostratus
4 Dimidiochromis Compressiceps
3 Nimbochromis Venustus
4 Tyrannochromis Nigriventer 'southern'
6 Placidochrmois Phenochilus "Tanzania"
1 Copadichromis Mloto "Lupingu" wild male
1 Aulonocara "Blue Neon" wild male
3 Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type North"
3 Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi "eureka red"
4 Sciaenochromis Fryeri "maleri island"
7 Cyphotilapia Gibberosa "Bizmarck Blue"
5 Protomela Taeniolatus "Red Empress"
3 Protomelas "pombo reef yellow chin"
2 Protomelas Spilonotus "liuli"
3 Protomelas Steveni "taiwan reef"
3 Protomelas Steveni "Tangerine Tiger"
5 Labidochromis Caeruleus
3 Pseudotropheus Demasoni

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
not a cichlids fan. But this setup looks nice with the fish!

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Your aquascaping looks great, and the size of the tank is everyone's envy. However, I am no fan for an all Malawian cichlid tank, and won't jump into the bangwagon to praise your fish. Even though Lake Malawi has over 1000 distinct species, they are very similar in body shape, markings, color and behavior. So despite having 18 different species and 50 to 60 fish in your tank, they are a crowd of similar looking fish. Eventually, your haps will all color up, your Fosso will reach big size, but they will still be a bunch of bluish fish. Size matters. With a huge 500 gal tank, it's a waste not to house a few monster fish from outside one lake to provide variation in color, body shape and behavior. I personally like to mix in CAs with Africans as they have similar water requirements.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Your aquascaping looks great, and the size of the tank is everyone's envy. However, I am no fan for an all Malawian cichlid tank, and won't jump into the bangwagon to praise your fish. Even though Lake Malawi has over 1000 distinct species, they are very similar in body shape, markings, color and behavior. So despite having 18 different species and 50 to 60 fish in your tank, they are a crowd of similar looking fish. Eventually, your haps will all color up, your Fosso will reach big size, but they will still be a bunch of bluish fish. Size matters. With a huge 500 gal tank, it's a waste not to house a few monster fish from outside one lake to provide variation in color, body shape and behavior. I personally like to mix in CAs with Africans as they have similar water requirements.
No bandwagon here, kinda confused on that one :) Look to each their own not every fish, tank, aquascape etc is for everyone. When I built this tank it was "you HAVE to do stingrays,arowana, pbass!!!@!@" for me, my cup of tea is and always has been africans. I see greatly different body types, color forms, personality differences in africans, some don't. Thanks for the comments all, glad you like it as much as I do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store