Recommended tank size for alligator gar?

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Recommended tank size for alligator gar?
Potential tank mates?

"big ball of light, spits out dinosaurs" - Mac, Primeval New World

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Alligator gar needs 12'X7'X4' for life imo...

MonsterAquariaNetwork App
ahh yeah fair enough. thanks mate. could u put tank mates in as well or is that the gator gar alone?

baji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai, India
ahh yeah fair enough. thanks mate. could u put tank mates in as well or is that the gator gar alone?

Tankmates will be feeders once ur gar reaches adult max size...

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Tankmates will be feeders once ur gar reaches adult max size...

ahh ok. I think il just stick with my RTCxTSN lol. im building a 10' x 5' x 5'. how many big catfish would u say would work in there long term

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
The gar would most likely max out at 4'. You would run the risk of it killing the catfish or other tank mates. Gators are a risk. As to the cats in that pond 3-5 with great filtration.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I've been told about 500 gallons per big cat, sounds about right to me.. but my cats are still pretty small so I won't know 100% for another years yet. I'de guess 3-5 as well depending on filtration and personalities. and if your keeping RTCxTSN hybrids stick with RTC's, hybrids, TSNs, maybe marbled pims.. but the "heavier" set ones. It's not uncommon for big cats to cannibalize either so make sure everyone is as close to the same size as possible. IE grow-out tanks ect. I've seen plenty of pictures of big RTCs with smaller ones in their mouthes and the hybrids are well known for this. imo more then a 4-6" difference at 24"+ and your asking for canni behavior.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
The gar would most likely max out at 4'. You would run the risk of it killing the catfish or other tank mates. Gators are a risk. As to the cats in that pond 3-5 with great filtration.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Im gonna give the gator a miss I think

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
I've been told about 500 gallons per big cat, sounds about right to me.. but my cats are still pretty small so I won't know 100% for another years yet. I'de guess 3-5 as well depending on filtration and personalities. and if your keeping RTCxTSN hybrids stick with RTC's, hybrids, TSNs, maybe marbled pims.. but the "heavier" set ones. It's not uncommon for big cats to cannibalize either so make sure everyone is as close to the same size as possible. IE grow-out tanks ect. I've seen plenty of pictures of big RTCs with smaller ones in their mouthes and the hybrids are well known for this. imo more then a 4-6" difference at 24"+ and your asking for canni behavior.
oh yeah definitely . they'd all be same purchase size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store