So I've noticed that 3 of 4 of my bowfins

tkoltz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2012
florida
Get along Im thinkin one is a hothead female.

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Get along Im thinkin one is a hothead female.

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Males should be easily identifiable by 5 inches and quite often earlier. I am totally with you on the female bezerkers, but in intense observation of growout of around two dozen bowfins, I have noticed an even more "sinister" pattern in their behavior.

Keep in mind, that I am not a scientist, and the couple dozen were spread out and in no form "control" tanks.
Other variables that I have observed no difference seemingly having little or no effect on the aggression of either bowfin sex are temperature, tank size and tank decor.

Males will have a clear black spot on the back of their tail that will be either 100% or nearly completely shrouded in a brilliant golden halo. It almost looks like a solar eclipse (it'd be a cool album cover).

Females are far more difficult (at times) to identify sex. Some females also have the distinct black dot on the tail. The females with black spots on their tails will never develop a full golden halo around them. The gold from the partial halo will remain broken and patchy, or will not be present at all.

Here is the strange part. I have never seen any variance in co-specific aggression in either sex with the black spot on the tail. Basically all are moderate for me.

Every (four to be exact) females that developed no spot on the tail has exhibited what I would term extremely intense co-specific aggression. One of the four that developed a pattern of a beautiful spiral to a pinpoint is murderous.

My non-scientific conclusion:

Cross dressing girl bowfins "that wear the pants" are chillin' like the boy bowfins. Full fledged lady bowfins in "those Shoes" are nashty!

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Males should be easily identifiable by 5 inches and quite often earlier. I am totally with you on the female bezerkers, but in intense observation of growout of around two dozen bowfins, I have noticed an even more "sinister" pattern in their behavior.

Keep in mind, that I am not a scientist, and the couple dozen were spread out and in no form "control" tanks.
Other variables that I have observed no difference seemingly having little or no effect on the aggression of either bowfin sex are temperature, tank size and tank decor.

Males will have a clear black spot on the back of their tail that will be either 100% or nearly completely shrouded in a brilliant golden halo. It almost looks like a solar eclipse (it'd be a cool album cover).

Females are far more difficult (at times) to identify sex. Some females also have the distinct black dot on the tail. The females with black spots on their tails will never develop a full golden halo around them. The gold from the partial halo will remain broken and patchy, or will not be present at all.

Here is the strange part. I have never seen any variance in co-specific aggression in either sex with the black spot on the tail. Basically all are moderate for me.

Every (four to be exact) females that developed no spot on the tail has exhibited what I would term extremely intense co-specific aggression. One of the four that developed a pattern of a beautiful spiral to a pinpoint is murderous.

My non-scientific conclusion:

Cross dressing girl bowfins "that wear the pants" are chillin' like the boy bowfins. Full fledged lady bowfins in "those Shoes" are nashty!
I needed a good laugh today "nashty" did it, thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store