Would a sump be worth it?

cwj108

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I am running a 90 gal SA/CA cichlid tank with a penguin 350 HOB and 2 Rena Filstar XP3 (Large) filters. I was toying with the idea of turning a 29 gal into a sump but would a sump be beneficial or is what I have fine? I like the idea of being able to hide the heater in the sump and not having inlet tubes everywhere, more of a clean look. However, if a sump wont benefit me much in the way of filtration(compared to what I have), ill save the money and do my best to hide the eyesores.

20130510_204643_resized.jpg

A little cloudy from some maintenance I had just done, but see what I mean about eyesores? haha. I hate that the filstar inlets are bright blue!!

20130510_204643_resized.jpg

girliefishlips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
North TX
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a sump. It offers too many pluses, and if properly researched and implemented, few cons. Big plus, it adds water volume to your system, it is a place to hide equiptment, it allows more flexibility in filtration choices, a place to jail bully fish, and more. The only real con I see is that it requires space under or near the tank.
Some tips for adding a sump; 1. before you do ANYTHING research very well and decide what kind of system you want, first. 2. Drill the tank. Don't rely on a siphon overflow...it is a flood waiting to happen (and I'm aware there are some very good siphon overflows available, but personally, I'd never rely on one again) 3. Use a multi-drain system as a safety precaution...if one drain gets blocked, the other drains will handle the flow and the tank will not overflow. I highly recommend you search 'BeanAnimal Silent & Failsafe Overflow' I use this on my 37 saltwater tank and am very pleased with it...it is absolutely silent, runs a phenomenal amount of water through the sump (if desired), and, gives me complete peace of mind regarding flooding. If you are on a budget, you can drill and build your own system for very little outlay.

girliefishlips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
North TX
Here are a couple pics of my tank when I first finished it.

reef tank 011.JPG
That's my reef tank right after I got water into it.

reef tank 010.JPG
This shows the small inside overflow, the drilled holes for water to flow through to the outside mounted drainbox with the BeanAnimal style drain system. I use a 20g long tank for my sump with one glass divider.

reef tank 011.JPG

reef tank 010.JPG

cwj108

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2013
Texas
My biggest con would be drilling the tank, mine has a stamp on the bottow saying "DO NOT DRILL". The reason I got this tank was because the guy I bought from just bought a drilled tank to replace that one. I have been researching overflows, I agree with what you stated, about having double the flow incase something gets clogged. I was reading about eshopps overflow boxes but if you have any recommendations on another company that makes good external overflows, I am all ears. Since I cant drill my tank, should I forget about the sump idea? I have plenty of room under my tank for a hidden 29 Gallon sump. Your tank looks great by the way!!

cwj108

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I was thinking of running two 800gph external overflows and a pump rated at 800gph in the sump

wvance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Culpeper, VA
I just recently went to sumps. Added one to my 29 with a DIY overflow - never had a problem. I also started my new 90 with a sump and incorporated filter bags as well. Way way way much easier to maintain. Check the albums in my profile for pics and some design drawings.

cwj108

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Those pics in your album look awesome! Is your 90 Gal a DIY Overflow as well, I couldnt really tell

cwj108

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Also, would a simple float switch shut off eliminate the problem of the tank flooding in the event you loose siphon?

wvance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Culpeper, VA
Those pics in your album look awesome! Is your 90 Gal a DIY Overflow as well, I couldnt really tell
Thank you. My 90 came pre-drilled - 1.5" drain and 1" return.

Also, would a simple float switch shut off eliminate the problem of the tank flooding in the event you loose siphon?
Since my tank is pre-drilled, I don't have to worry about losing syphon in the overflow (gravity drain). I also added a spray bar when I built out the return that runs right at the waterline which breaks syphon on the return side. So, when power goes out, I only get about 3-4" of water rise in my sump. However, I still want to add a float switch to shut off the pump in case the drain gets clogged, and my sump gets pumped dry - mainly to protect the pump. There's probably enough room left in the tank to absorb the volume of the sump should that senario ever happen (note to self - I should test this just to be sure)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store