Filter bags/socks user survey

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'm interested in doing a little survey of filter sock users to try help me figure out what size/quantity/micron socks to go for with my 2000L tank. The big problem I had with my old set up was that they clogged to the point of overflowing every three days and I very quickly grew tired of changing and washing them this frequently. This is something I am really keen to avoid this time round, though I'm not going to run ten socks in the filter either, so I'm trying to see if I can figure out some sort of ideal 'sock area to GPH' ratio. It would be a great help if anyone using socks could answer the following, I've put my old set up in as an example;

Tank volume; 1400L/370g
Stock: moderate (light/moderate/heavy will do)
Socks: 2x 100micron
How far above the water level: 1/3
GPH: 1500
Days before overflowing: 3-4
Any other filtration: FX5

Cheers!

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I return 1600+ gph through two 200micron socks and can go approx. two weeks without having to clean/swap out. Heres the catch; I have very extensive
pre-filtration in the form of reticulated foam and the socks are 7"x16"...way bigger than need be. Also, I only feed my fish every other day to every second, even third day, so the water isn't getting messed up to often. My feeding schedule is very random, so some weeks I need to address the socks sooner, other weeks less often and I really think thats the key. Feeding frequency, especially if you lack proper prefiltration, could cause socks to clog up sooner.
BTW, I will never go back to conventional filter media. The socks filter much better and more completely than conventional filter media that has a tendency to clog and short circuit.
Also, 100micron is a fairly fine filter and early clogging could just be the price to pay for that level of filtration. My tank is right at about perfect for stock levels, but my Royal Panaque(L190) is a chain saw with gills. The wood fiber it produces is by far the most dominate substance filtered, mostly through the pre filter, but some of which reaches the filter socks. The point is, this fish is my "messy" fish. If that fish was removed, who knows, I might even double the time on the sock maintenance.
The socks are 90% submerged, filled with reticulated foam cylinders cut to fit inside the socks. Tank is 180g/681L

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I run around 2400gph through a 50 and 100 on my 300 gallon. Typically I go 3 days on the 50 and about a week on the 100, but I stock pretty lightly so I'm sure that has a pretty large bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I return 1600+ gph through two 200micron socks and can go approx. two weeks without having to clean/swap out. Heres the catch; I have very extensive pre-filtration in the form of reticulated foam and the socks are 7"x16"...way bigger than need be.
I think pre-filtration is going to be the key for my set up too. The amount of "sawdust" my not-yet-half-grown Panaques make would have the socks clogging in a matter of days I think...

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Tank volume: 770G
Stock: moderate
Socks: Three 8"x32" 50 Micron
How far above the water level: 90% submerged
GPH: 2000
Days before overflowing: 7
Any other filtration: None

I have recently been placing a smaller 4" x 14" 200 micron sock inside of my 8"x 32" socks to prefilter the larger crud and it extends the time between clogging to about 10 to 12 days. I know they sell socks that are made of two separate bags where the inside bag traps large particles and then the outside bag traps small particles, but I have found that they are tough to clean...there always seems to be junk stuck between the two bags no matter how hard I try to get it out...so, I prefer buying the socks separately so that I can thoroughly clean them separately.

If your 100 micron socks used to clog after 3 days, I would step up to a larger sock size or use a larger micon rating...cleaning my socks more than once per week would be more than I'm willing to do for my finned friends. :grinno:

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Tank volume: 700G
Stock: moderate
Socks: 2 20" long 200 Micra
GPH: ~2000
Days before overflowing: 3-4
Any other filtration: None before the sockets

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I'll base this on my previous central setup that I had a while back.

Tank volume; 400G Central
Stock: Moderate
Socks: Qty 2 x 100 micron inside of 50 micron - Socks were 7" diameter x 14-16" long
How far above the water level: 1/3-1/4
GPH: 3,000 gph
Days before overflowing: 30+
Any other filtration: None

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I think a huge part in this is that all socks are not made the same, some are heat welded together other are sewn and the different matterial that everyone uses. I have a couple different type all 100 microns but I can tell you that one set does a far better job filtering and clogs sooner then the others. I look at them once they have clogged fully and I pick the sock up out of the water and see how long it takes for the water to drain through the sock and junk.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Tank volume: 120G
Stock: heavy
Socks: 1 x 300micron not sure it's size but in the 20" range? fits into a 40B sump
GPH: ~950? mag 9.5
Days before overflowing: 2 weeks?
Any other filtration: None before the socks other then your typical sump pipes/strainer

also a heavy predetor tank that gets fed 2x a week give or take. x2 w/ Kevin on what brand ect you go with... not all micron filters are built the same. my sump is also home to live blackworms that escaped the rays/eels attentions. not sure if they help maintain water flow or not tbh. but I always find a bunch when I'm cleaning the socks.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Cheers for the feedback! Keep it coming.

DIDSYS I've never seen different filter socks here, but wouldn't be surprised in a bigger market like the US if there were other kinds and not all 100micron were equal. The ones I've used here are made from "polypropylene needlefelt" and do seem awfully fine and not designed for fast flowing water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store