Potamotrygon Reticulatus

mnjie

Feeder Fish
May 12, 2013
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I am new to the MFK so please do go easy on me, i've recently reinvested into a nice bit of kit to create a stingray enviroment - the fish i am looking to keep is the Potamotrygon Reticulatus - aka the Teacup Stingray.

Having been a keen fish keeper for many years i took the time to research the keeping of sting rays, through the research this has led me to invest in a larger tank and also put down a deposit on a Potamotrygon Reticulatus "Teacup" stingray.

Im not looking to find instructions on how to keep however what i would like is feedback from people who keep them letting me know what they are like to keep - would love to hear and see pics of other peoples rays. I see alot of negative comments regarding keeping rays however in my opinion they look like a great fish to keep and are a little different to the everyday tropical setups.

thanks for your time guys,

Marv

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I would suggest looking threw the subforum for stingrays... the stickies have an amazing amount of info.. first hand owning retics for the past 2 yrs... they are considered one of the hardest fw species to keep... and while i've not had issue they will get as big as their cousins, I have 2 females and 1 male... while my females are fairly docile creatures my male will actively attack ( he will aim his stinger and strike) anytime I mess with him... they are ime very active fish and very unique.. they eat alot.. and they require more care then your average fish imo.

imo they are pets, not just something to look at as many fish are.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I had two. One died when I fished a leporinus out of my tank and the other when I fished out some ID sharks. They spook and get stressed very easily, which I didn't know at the time. I wish I would have read that they were one of the most difficult freshwater species to keep before I had got mine. lol I did research, but I never came upon that piece of information until I started researching into their deaths. Beautiful rays though. I would just suggest not making the same mistake that I did of adding fish that spook really easy and swim like maniacs.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
They usually die due to shipping conditions, parasites or a combo of both. They have small mouths so you will have to chop crawlers for them for awhile. Not sure if you can get blackworms up there but they seem to be key for keeping pups alive for first months

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store