Sump pumped with canister.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Is it even worth it if your going to have to use a canister filter as the pump for a sump for a while?

It would not in increase the output by any means. But will water in BB longer be benificial?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I guess you could do it...draw from the sump, return with the discharge and flow back through the overflow...I would take all the media out of the filter and put it in the sump just to give the canister unrestricted flow...why not? Just temp right?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Canister filters don't pump water uphill at all, they are designed to operate with basically no head height. It simply doesn't work.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Is it even worth it if your going to have to use a canister filter as the pump for a sump for a while?

It would not in increase the output by any means. But will water in BB longer be benificial?

The pump for our wet/dry filter quit working on a Friday afternoon. We live in a rural area and purchase all our equipment online. I got a pond pump from our local feed/hay store and threw it in my sump. It was much cheaper than the original with less gph, but it returns the water quite adequately.

In our new system which has yet to be set up, I plan on pumping the water from my sump back to the main tank via an Ultima 4000/Barracuda Gold pump. The sump is very large, and I don't anticipate any problems.

Right now, we have an FX-5 sitting on the floor. It removes water from our 300 gallon tank and then returns it 4' to the top of the tank. So pumping uphill is not a problem. The only potential problem I see with using a canister filter to return water from a sump is if the gph on the canister exceeds the gph of the overflow to the sump. With a pump, the return line can be valved to be able to reduce the flow rate back to the tank. Pump or canister filter, you don't want to pump your sump dry. You can have more control with a pump with a plumbed in return line. If you have a large sump, pumping it dry probably won't be a problem.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Right now, we have an FX-5 sitting on the floor. It removes water from our 300 gallon tank and then returns it 4' to the top of the tank. So pumping uphill is not a problem.
Is the intake of the fx5 4' below the outlet, or both same level with the canister sitting on the floor 4' below the tank?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I dug out an old maxijet -1200, have a 1/2" hose running to the sump syphoning water from the tank, into a very fine fish net to catch debris.

Down onto bioballs that are surrounding the submerged powerhead.

Seems to be working great. I want to add dividers and have more contact with the bioballs before being pumped back.

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
the uptake is about a foot lower than the return

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX
That means that if the return is a foot above the water level, your fx5 is only working against 1 foot of head pressure. His will be working against 4 feet or so since he is pumping from the sump to the tank... not from the tank to the tank. Very different scenario. It won't work in his case. The pump in a canister isn't strong enough to handle that much resistance.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
At about 18" my canister seems to pump just the samse as when there even.

The input is about 18" into the water. Output being about 1" above the surface. Durring my big water changes i bring it down as far as i can without losing prime on my canister. All in all its about 18" difference. Output is still high. Im not sure what 4' will be like.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
At about 18" my canister seems to pump just the samse as when there even.

The input is about 18" into the water. Output being about 1" above the surface. Durring my big water changes i bring it down as far as i can without losing prime on my canister. All in all its about 18" difference. Output is still high.
No, your output is about 1" above your intake. ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store