Stunted growth in a Datniod

topdog78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
united kingdom
I have a 7-8inch indo Dat in a 6x2x2 which is filtered by a wet and dry sump plus a ehiem pro 3, I've had this little guy on his own in my tank for over a year and in that time he has only grown about an inch !
I've come to the conclusion that he must of been underfed by his previous owner, he eats massivore once or if I'm lucky twice a day but only small amounts!
So I guess my question to you guys is, have you any experience of a dat you have bought that has been stunted in growth and is it possible that given enough time it will catch up ?

csaechao

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
they tend to grow really slow around that size. how often do you do water changes? also how is his appetite other than the massivore?

topdog78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
united kingdom
they tend to grow really slow around that size. how often do you do water changes? also how is his appetite other than the massivore?
I do a 25% water change every other day, his appetite is ok but definitely not a greedy fish!. If i feed him cockles for example he will eat 5 or 6 at the most in one sitting !

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Some dats have bigger appetites than others and this will cause them to grow faster. I would try feeding him shrimp. They can't resist it and they eat until they're mouths can't close. Wait 2 days and then see how many pellets he will take.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You've had him for over a year but how long has it been eating Massivore?...was it already on them when you got the dat?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah I think prawn and shrimp are dats favorite food.I would just continue to feed it the pellets when it will take them.The meaty foods should just be given as a treat as the Massivore is more complete nutritionally.Its hard to say if your dat has been stunted or not but I suspect it would have had to be kept in some pretty poor conditions for it to be stunted at the size of six inches or so..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store