38 gallon tank cycle ???

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
The cycle on this tank had crashed recently with very high ammonia and very low ph, it was a barebottom tank that I medicated and didnt know it would kill my cycle...the fish that were in this tank have been moved to another tank and today I added gravel and upgraded from a marineland emperor 280 to an emperor 400...so basically im starting all over...I have a bunch of 5 star generals about 1.5 inchs, how many would I need to start the cycle in this tank??? And any other advice is much appreciated, thanks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
That sucks bro. I'd start fresh with new water to remove the chemicals, add some media from an established tank into the filter and a scoop of gravel as well to help jumpstart the colonies. Maybe run some carbon for a few hours before you add the bacterial media and substrate to limit the chances of just killing them off again.

Let two of those little guys filth the place up and monitor the levels everyday. It shouldn't be longer than 3 weeks to have a strong enough ecosystem to support another fish. That fourth week, if all is well add another the next week. Be sure not to take too much from the established tank, don't want to start a mini cycle over there.

That's just how I was taught. More experienced people will be coming by soon enough to correct me if I'm wrong.
Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Yea I used some tank water from another tank and used a couple bio wheels fron another tank...so just use 2 of the 1.5 inch 5 stars to kick start the cycle??

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Oh and I did start fresh, new everything except for the plants rocks and sponge filter...new water, new hob filter and new gravel...

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
Oh man. I just realized you were trying to establish a pair? That would be counter productive separating them all. Close call here... If you can check the water religiously for ammonia and feed lightly you could get away with all of them. If you really want to cover your bases with less stress you could buy some "bacteria in a bottle".

I've used this stuff coupled with old filter media with great success.

http://www.tsbiolabs.com/product_p/ac-125.htm

There is other products on the market that will do the same thing but they don't come with the lifetime bio media this does.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
So im using goldfish to cycle the tank, im using fritz zyme as my bacteria in a bottle...now its just a waiting game

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store