Venustus coloring?

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Reading some about my Venustus, I know that juvenile males and females share the same coloration, and when the males mature, they get the blue face coloration...
My Venustus is getting to about 3", and I've started to notice a definite blue hue/shimmer to the back 1/3 or so of its dorsal fin... Is this an indicator that it's starting to color as male? It's the largest fish in my tank at the moment, and sold as male, but still showing female/juvenile colors. When do they normally start showing the adult coloration?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
They are a bigger fish and mature later than a lot of haps, it will also depend on his dominance. If he is the most dominant he will color earlier, if he is subdominant it will cause him to color later. Mine is roughly 5 inches and just starting to color now, but he is no alpha male in the tank... My dimidiochrmois comprecciceps on the other hand is the alpha fish in the tank and he was colored up at a mere 3 inches, so it's really up to them when they decide to color up but rest assured he will at some point in time :) As for if its male or not the only indicator I had on mine were some blue markings on his head you could see at just the right angle and a very very slight blue hue to his body also at just the right angle.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
They are a bigger fish and mature later than a lot of haps, it will also depend on his dominance. If he is the most dominant he will color earlier, if he is subdominant it will cause him to color later. Mine is roughly 5 inches and just starting to color now, but he is no alpha male in the tank... My dimidiochrmois comprecciceps on the other hand is the alpha fish in the tank and he was colored up at a mere 3 inches, so it's really up to them when they decide to color up but rest assured he will at some point in time :) As for if its male or not the only indicator I had on mine were some blue markings on his head you could see at just the right angle and a very very slight blue hue to his body also at just the right angle.
great information......... also their head will shimmer in gold as mature male .......females remain exactly as they are as juvies.. just bigger.....

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Well hopefully he'll (hoping its a he) will color soon, the dominant in the tank is a tie between the Venustus and Dragon's Blood... though the red/orange zebra isn't far behind when it comes to chasing and harassing... lol.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Well hopefully he'll (hoping its a he) will color soon, the dominant in the tank is a tie between the Venustus and Dragon's Blood... though the red/orange zebra isn't far behind when it comes to chasing and harassing... lol.

could you post a pic of him or her....

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
I think there's one in my photo gallery from when I first got it a month or so ago, getting ready to walk into work now, will be trying for some better pics this weekend, and I picked up two unidentified additions for my tank earlier today, heh.

I think my Venustus will be my first named fish, he's got black stripes going down his eyes, and he waylays other fish to chase them, he shall forevermore be named The Highwayman. (Good song too)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store