tank turnover rate...

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
asking for a friend who is looking to get a 180 with 40ish gallon sump. he is looking to have a refugium in the sump. question is, what is the optimum turnover rate for this kind of setup? I have the exact same tank but freshwater and have about 10x per hour turnover. same for reef tank sump? or less due to the fuge? thanks :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
I turn my tank about 10x per hour through my refugium, so does my LFS with their display reef. I'm running a 90 gallon tank and a 30 gallon refugium.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I'm new to salt water, but how much live rock and live sand is he going to be running? And he also, is he going to be running extra bio on the side? Is his stock going to be heavy or light? Is his water RO or premixed?
Sent from my Nokia 5165

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
not sure how much rock, he has a lot in his 4 foot which will be trabsferred over and then some extra. isnt 'live sand' a bit of a gimmick? as all sand will eventually become 'live' in the right conditions? in the sump hes undecided between sand bed, miracle mud or rock rubble in the fuge. no extra bio, skimmer, nitrate/phosphate reactor, uv and purigen. filter socks for pre filter.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
oh ro water, probably medium/high stock. plenty if corals. thankyou.

CanadianEH

Banned
May 5, 2013
Dallas
If you care to ask more than you're friend tell him to give you the tank. Flow rate would depend on if your talking about through the filtration system, or in the main tank. Also that would change based on what you are keeping, also changing based on what type of filtration you where using. It would even make a difference if you chose to use different macros to filter the tank. Not really enough information.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I said i would help him to look into it, its called doing a nice thing, doesnt mean he doesnt care... Maybe I wasnt clear, but I meant turnover through the sump/refugium, wavemakers in the mian tank not included. Macro will be Chaeto. What type of filtration? I thought I covered that? Through a sock, skimmer, reactor, refugium, purigen. rock in tank for main bio. Stock will be if i remember correctly, royal gramma, yellow tang, regal tang, some kind of dottyback, 6 line wrasse, watchman goby, foxface, chromis, black clowns. corals will be mainly of the soft kind though he does like LPS so i wouldnt be surprised if they make an appearance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store