Starting a Saltwater Tank

Fishstronomy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
I've been in freshwater for about 10 years, and would like to experiment how it feels to have a salt tank aswell. I'm going to use my old 20 gallon tank, but I have a few questions: Can I use my HOB filter that I already have or do i need to but a specific filter, would a sponge filter still work in saltwater, good fish to stock my tank with, any extra equipment I have to buy to start off, and if sticking with gravel okay or do I have to switch to sand? I've heard you need to move sand every so often for some reason, is it necessary? I'm sorry for my newbie questions, just don't want to waste money on anything I don't need :/

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
20 gallon is small, you would have to keep an eye on your levels constantly. I used a 75 as my noob tank and I'm so glad I did. Definitely gives me some lee way on my levels. I'd recommend larger, if possible. Nano sized tanks are an expert area.

You can, and many people do, use AquaClear 110/70 as mini refugiums and whatnot. There are probably some guides out there on how to make one, but you can easily design your own. I'd recommend a filter pad, you can buy cut to fit pads cheap, for water clarity.

Sand, especially live, is a great addition. Its also a great source of biological filtration, same with live rock. I definitely recommend sand.

Here is a (probably incomplete) list of essentials with estimated prices based on a 20g tank:
Salt mix (get a bucket, you will use it!) $60
30lbs live sand $30
Refractometer $30 on amazon
30lbs live rock $120+
Cut to fit filter pad $10
Saltwater test kit $30
Seachem prime 250ml/500ml $10/$15

Hopefully that helps a bit. It's not an exact list, it's just things I needed when I put together my first tank. I do recommend going with a larger tank though.

Fishstronomy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
20 gallon is small, you would have to keep an eye on your levels constantly. I used a 75 as my noob tank and I'm so glad I did. Definitely gives me some lee way on my levels. I'd recommend larger, if possible. Nano sized tanks are an expert area.

You can, and many people do, use AquaClear 110/70 as mini refugiums and whatnot. There are probably some guides out there on how to make one, but you can easily design your own. I'd recommend a filter pad, you can buy cut to fit pads cheap, for water clarity.

Sand, especially live, is a great addition. Its also a great source of biological filtration, same with live rock. I definitely recommend sand.

Here is a (probably incomplete) list of essentials with estimated prices based on a 20g tank:
30lbs live sand $30
30lbs live rock $120+
Saltwater test kit $30

Hopefully that helps a bit. It's not an exact list, it's just things I needed when I put together my first tank. I do recommend going with a larger tank though.
Thanks alot, but I have a couple more questions. Does it cost alot of money to maintain a saltwater tank, could I use a regular freshwater test kit, what does a refractor meter do. I have a 72 gallon bowfront but I don't want to part with my fish there that have been there for more than a few years. Maybe if I get good results with saltwater I will make the switch once my fish have passed on

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
Yeah no problem, glad I could help out.

Does it cost a lot? Yes and no. Initial setup is where the huge cost lies. Is it more expensive than fresh water? Yes, but mainly due to the salt. Once you have sufficient equipment, the cost goes way down. I spend, excluding food, around $20/month to maintain my tanks. It really isn't too bad

Freshwater kit. No, unless it has cards depicting saltwater values. The saltwater results will appear different than the freshwater results. A saltwater kit is pretty cheap anyway.

Refractometer accurately displays the salinity level in your tank, which is extremely important. I highly recommend one. They cost $30ish on amazon.

Fish are going to be the most expensive part in the long run, but with a tank that size it shouldn't be a problem. A little nano reef would be really cool. I plan to use my 29 gallon tank and aquaclear 110 for a saltwater setup when I move later this year.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA

30lbs live sand $30
30lbs live rock $120+
Saltwater test kit $30

I wouldn't exactly say nano's are in expert area, many people start out with 20 gallon nano's including my self and it just takes researching and patience. If you can handle that, you'll do just fine.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Agree with above. I just started with one this year and it was a 20g. I researched like crazy! And took it very very slow. This is from my research. Sponge filters do act the same and will also help seed other tanks when fully established. Your hob will work but not as it's only source and depending on the hob. Aquaclears are looked upon as the best hob. They are also.converted into refugiums. aanother alternative is called an algae scrubber some say its the best for tanks without sump or protien Skimmer combos. Best advice is to keep stock to a minimum and keep up with smaller weekly waterchanges (10-25%). Best filtration is live sand and live rock (avg 1lbs per gallon of both but not necessary but enough to have a good surface area) with two equal power heads on each side for circular current. And you can add some filter floss and some.love rock rubble.to your hob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
I wouldn't exactly say nano's are in expert area, many people start out with 20 gallon nano's including my self and it just takes researching and patience. If you can handle that, you'll do just fine.

I don't think they are good for every beginner. If you don't know what you are doing, your tank can crash on you quite easily. 20 gallons is a fairly small tank, a lot can go wrong.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
If I started off with a 20 or a 30gal tank with Fiji live rock (20-30lbs per gallon) and run a ac110 with out live sand....will I still be ok? Stock will be medium to low with frags and such.

Sent from my Nokia 5165

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
I don't think they are good for every beginner. If you don't know what you are doing, your tank can crash on you quite easily. 20 gallons is a fairly small tank, a lot can go wrong.
Yeah a lot can go wrong if you don't research a lot and have patience, if your actually committed to making it work and following steps and procedures, he'll be fine but if you don't research anyways then a lot will go wrong with what ever tank size you have. I did at least 6 months of research before even putting my tank together.

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
If I started off with a 20 or a 30gal tank with Fiji live rock (20-30lbs per gallon) and run a ac110 with out live sand....will I still be ok? Stock will be medium to low with frags and such.

Sent from my Nokia 5165
Corals wont be for a while. Just get crushed coral sand and it will become live over time.

Yeah a lot can go wrong if you don't research a lot and have patience, if your actually committed to making it work and following steps and procedures, he'll be fine but if you don't research anyways then a lot will go wrong with what ever tank size you have. I did at least 6 months of research before even putting my tank together.

It took me years to buy my first tank, and that was for freshwater. It took another almost year to do salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store